1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following code in Excel 2010:

Code:
Option Explicit

Dim active_row As Range

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Set active_row = Sheets("active").Range("A2:L2")
active_row.Interior.Color = RGB(0, 255, 0)

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()

active_row.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 255)
; code to move active_row range down one row

End Sub

Pressing Button 1 highlights row A2:L2 light green. Each subsequent press of Button 2 is supposed to clear the current row's green highlight and then apply the same highlight to the next row down. The problem is I can't figure out how to decrement the row component of the active_row variable.

I know you can't modify the Range.Row() property of a fixed range, but isn't it possible to decrement the row component of my active_row variable by 1? I also read about the resize() function but that doesn't work either because I only want to move the highlighted region down 1 row.

Can I only do this by saving integers corresponding to the range along with the Cells() function and a for each loop?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Would you please tell me what your trying to do.
1.Do you have a sheet named active or are you referring to the active sheet.
The active sheet is the sheet you are now working on and normally is not named active
The active sheet can be named anything.

2. Are you wanting to enter data onto a row an then have that row colored green and then next time you enter data on the next row have that row turn green and the previous row turn back to white or as excel looks at it it's called xlnone

3. I really do not know why you think you need two buttons to do this.
4. And we want this color from columns A to L

And you know this could be done automatically when you enter data into column A if you wanted with no need for a button.

Upvote 0
Do you mean:

Code:
set active_row = active_row.offset(1)

Upvote 0
Would you please tell me what your trying to do.
1.Do you have a sheet named active or are you referring to the active sheet.
The active sheet is the sheet you are now working on and normally is not named active
The active sheet can be named anything.

I have a sheet named "active". Perhaps this is misleading given that "active" has a special meaning in Excel. I would update the OP but apparently the edit functionality expires after a period of time, as I don't see an edit button on my post.

2. Are you wanting to enter data onto a row an then have that row colored green and then next time you enter data on the next row have that row turn green and the previous row turn back to white or as excel looks at it it's called xlnone

button2 is used to cycle through a list of rows, highlighting the current row and performing a list of actions with each button press. Currently only the highlight feature is implemented.

button1 is used to reset the state of the spreadsheet and move the highlight back to the second row.

3. I really do not know why you think you need two buttons to do this.

See my answer to question 2. The functionality has not been added yet. Right now I'm only trying to get the highlight working.

4. And we want this color from columns A to L

And you know this could be done automatically when you enter data into column A if you wanted with no need for a button.

button1 will eventually be used to perform a list of actions with each press, in addition to moving the highlight down one row. This has not been added yet. button2 is effectively a "reset" button to remove all the modifications performed by repeatedly pressing button1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you mean:

Code:
set active_row = active_row.offset(1)

Yes, this is exactly what I needed. Thanks. I actually ended up using:

Code:
Set active_row = active_row.Offset(1,0)

Because it says Offset has 2 required arguments.

Upvote 0
I have the following code in Excel 2010:

Code:
Option Explicit

Dim active_row As Range

End Sub

active_row.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 255)
; code to move active_row range down one row

End Sub

Pressing Button 1 highlights row A2:L2 light green. Each subsequent press of Button 2 is supposed to clear the current row's green highlight and then apply the same highlight to the next row down. The problem is I can't figure out how to decrement the row component of the active_row variable.

I know you can't modify the Range.Row() property of a fixed range, but isn't it possible to decrement the row component of my active_row variable by 1? I also read about the resize() function but that doesn't work either because I only want to move the highlighted region down 1 row.

Can I only do this by saving integers corresponding to the range along with the Cells() function and a for each loop?

Try it like this...
Code:
Dim active_row As Range

End Sub

active_row.Interior.Color = xlNone
  Set active_row = active_row.Offset(1)
End Sub
Note: The physical ActiveCell never changes with this coding (not sure if that is okay with you or not, but your above originally posted code did not affect the ActiveCell, so I continued with that).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back