How to distribute items from different groups throughout a set number of columns??

sauci11

Howdy

I've been struggling with building a worksheet to help with some work functions, can seem to connect the math with the excel functions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

We have several sets of tools identified by color. There are a varying numbers of each colored set of tools. We also have determined how many times per year that each group of tool sets needs to be re-colored depending on usage. Part of our list could look like this,

# of sets
Times per year
Week 1
Wk 2
Wk 3
Wk 4
Wk 5
Wk 6
Wk 7....
Red tools
Green tools
Blue tools
Yellow tools

<tbody>
</tbody>

We are trying to have this data distributed evenly over 52 columns to correspond with the weeks in the year. The number of sets of each color group would change and the times per year would change, depending on usage and other factors.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi sauci11, welcome to the Forum
I am no Euclid at math, but I am good enough to know that the figures shown in the example cannot be distributed over 52 weeks in whole numbers. It is also unclear whether you are referring to distributing the sets of tools or the times they are re-colored. Maybe a more detailed explanation would help, like defining what you mean by distributing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi sauci11, welcome to the Forum
I am no Euclid at math, but I am good enough to know that the figures shown in the example cannot be distributed over 52 weeks in whole numbers. It is also unclear whether you are referring to distributing the sets of tools or the times they are re-colored. Maybe a more detailed explanation would help, like defining what you mean by distributing.

Ok. Lets just look at the Red tools.

There are 5 sets and each needs to be recolored 3 times per year, so there is a sequence of the sets that looks like this....1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5...that needs to be spread out over the 52 week calendar year. I understand that rounding will need to happen and distribution throughout the calendar won't be evenly spaced.

Does that help?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back