How to duplicatethe X AXIS

SeanKExcel

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to duplicate the x axis on a line chart. I've created a line chart that has 0 to 20 on the x-axis with 4 lines/sets of data in the chart. I want to have 0 to 20 showing 4 times on the x-axis so in effect having 4 sub-sections in the chart. How do I do this?
I have images of

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Don't know what your images look like, since tour post was cut off. I'm assuming it's an XY scatter chart. So I made up some data, four sets with X values ranging from 0 to 20, and I've plotted them in four charts.

OoPGRtz.png

I've inserted columns in the data so that each series will have its own X values. The beta X values have had 20 added to them, the gamma X values have had 40 added to them, and delta 60 added to them.

The four series together with their original X values are in the first chart, and with their adjusted X values in the second.

Hy98VNS.png

Below I show some data I'm going to use so I can add dummy axis labels to the chart. I want my labels to read 5, 10, and 15 (the labels are in the third column), but they have to be at 5, 10, and 15, then at 25, 30, and 35, then 45, 50, and 55, and finally 65, 70, and 75. The X values are in the first column, and the Y values, all zeros, are in the second.

In the first chart, I've locked in the major unit of the X axis to 20, so the major gridlines occur at multiples of 20. I've set the minor unit of the X axis to 5, so minor tickmarks appear at multiples of 5. I've added minor tickmarks outside the axis.

I copied the first two columns of this new data range, selected the chart, and used Paste Special to add the data as a new series, data in columns, X values in first column, series name in first row. These are the round markers along the X axis in the second (top right) chart.

I added data labels to this new series, using the Below position options. I also used the Value from Cells option, using the third column of the new data range. This is shown in the third (bottom left) chart.

Finally, I formatted the added series to use no markers, and I used a custom number format of " " (double quote - space character - double quote) for the X axis tick labels. This is shown in the fourth chart.

IGV6Tj4.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for that Jon. That is nearly exactly what I am trying to do! Is it possible to show one continuous line running along the bottom instead of four separate lines though? So lets say in your data, if all 4 peaked at 2 it would show all 4 peaking at 2?

Upvote 0
How can it be one continuous line if there are four discrete axis sections?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back