HOW TO extend autofilter

m9m9m9m

Issue:
I often add another column at the end of the table (i.e. not inserting in the middle) that already has an autofilter applied. The additional column needs to be included in the autofilter. The only way I know how to do that is by removing the autofilter from the old table and and reapplying the autofilter after selecting the old table + the new columns.
I do this quite often, so I am looking for a quick way of doing that. Using ctrl-shift-L makes it a bit easier, but I wonder if there was an even quicker way to extend an existing autofilter to the right (and bottom for that matter), perhaps without removing the old autofilter first ?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Which version of Excel? If you use an actual Table (2007 or later) then it should be included in the table automatically and have a filter added to it.

Upvote 0
Do you have a reason for not using an actual table? It would make that a lot simpler.

Upvote 0
Not really, other than me perhaps naively thinking what is the point of using a table when the whole spreadsheet is a table.
I just had a quick play with it - it does indeed automatically extend it. So that's great. It doesn't extend it when pasting in information though. But i'll play a bit more with it. Its certainly a good start.

Upvote 0
With a table, there is a handle at the bottom right corner that you can use to extend the table range if need be.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soumyahalder4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back