How to fix Date formatting issue

nshepo20

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, I need a bit of help with how to fix my date formats. I receive data weekly and I run VBA code that copies the data and paste values it into a master sheet.
I also have an xlookup function referencing that date column, however, the date is coming is as half in one format and the other half in another format... so the xlookup is only working for half of the dates.

I currently use this line in my VBA code but it doesn't change anything -> Sheets("XXX").Range("P:P").NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"

Please see the attached picture of the filtered column of dates to understand my issue... I would like the date to be in the format of the others that are MM/DD/YYYY when I run the VBA code so I don't have to manually fix.

Any idea why this is happening and how to format them the same with VBA if possible?

Thank you for your help! :)

Attachments

• Date issue.PNG
    Date issue.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 41

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
The format has nothing to do with what you are seeing in your filter list, and XLOOKUP does not care how dates are formatted. However, the filter list does looks to me like some of your data is being pasted as true dates, but other data is being pasted as text. See example below.

Where does your VBA copy the data from?
What format is the data in the source?

Please show your VBA (it will be more readable if you use code tags. After pasting the code, select the code and click the VBA button to add code tags.)

dates1.JPG

dates2.jpg

Upvote 0
The format has nothing to do with what you are seeing in your filter list, and XLOOKUP does not care how dates are formatted. However, the filter list does looks to me like some of your data is being pasted as true dates, but other data is being pasted as text. See example below.

Where does your VBA copy the data from?
What format is the data in the source?

Please show your VBA (it will be more readable if you use code tags. After pasting the code, select the code and click the VBA button to add code tags.)

View attachment 53910

View attachment 53911
Hey Jeff, thank you so much for your reply! It does appears that the data in my source file is coming in formatted as some "general" and some "date". The actual numbers look identical though...

VBA Code:
Set Found = ws.Range("A1:T1").Find("WEEKSTART") '<== Header name to search for

If Not Found Is Nothing Then
    LRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, Found.Column).End(xlUp).Row
    ws.Range(ws.Cells(2, Found.Column), ws.Cells(LRow, Found.Column)).Copy
    Sheets("XXX").Range("P" & LastRow).Offset(1, 0).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues '<== Sheet to paste data
End If

Sheets("XXX").Range("P:P").NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"

Here is my VBA code that copies from the source sheet to my master sheet

I think I maybe just need to apply the .NumberFormat code to the source sheet's "WEEKSTART" column prior to the copy and paste?
But even still, how come it won't format to all be a date in the master sheet? Is it because .NumberFormat only formats a number? If so can the text format be converted to date?

Thank you

Upvote 0
I'm trying to get at more detail about where the data comes from. Are you copying it from another Excel file, or from some other application? It doesn't matter what the format type is (General, Date, or anything) if the data itself is text. If you are copying text into a cell, then formatting the cell as .NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy", it doesn't convert it to a date, it is still text.

I have seen cases where people import data from an application like SAP where it's all text even though it's hard to tell that when you see it in Excel. Then it has to be explicitly converted to dates.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to get at more detail about where the data comes from. Are you copying it from another Excel file, or from some other application? It doesn't matter what the format type is (General, Date, or anything) if the data itself is text. If you are copying text into a cell, then formatting the cell as .NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy", it doesn't convert it to a date, it is still text.

I have seen cases where people import data from an application like SAP where it's all text even though it's hard to tell that when you see it in Excel. Then it has to be explicitly converted to dates.
Sorry for the confusion, yes it is coming from another excel file that I copy over the sheets to my current file, so the raw data is a separate sheet that I move into the same file. The raw data is coming in as “12/13/2021” but is like have “general” and half “date”. I guess I need to convert the ones that are text to date?

Upvote 0
Yes, but that could be done in the code. Is it is possible for you to show us some sample source data?

Upvote 0
@nshepo20
You can have the Text to columns run and then apply the formatting to your destination column.
VBA Code:
Range("P:P").TextToColumns Destination:=Range("P:P"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
        TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, _
        Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo _
        :=Array(1, 3), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
Columns("P:P").NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy"

Upvote 0
How about replacing:

VBA Code:

with:

VBA Code:
With Sheets("XXX").Range("P:P")
    .Value = .Value
End With

Upvote 0
Solution
How about replacing:

VBA Code:

with:

VBA Code:
With Sheets("XXX").Range("P:P")
    .Value = .Value
End With
That keeps the same value. If it is text, it will remain text, right?

Upvote 0
That keeps the same value. If it is text, it will remain text, right?

Try it and see. It converts the text date to a value date. Ie. it converts a text date that is aligned to the left, to a date that is aligned to the right.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rache47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back