How To Get VLOOKUP Over Multiple Columns

michaelkdown

I am hoping someone will be able to help, i am trying to get a VLOOKUP to work over a number of different columns. An example the problem:

Sheet1

A B

1 10
2 20
3 30
4 40
5 50

Sheet1 is the sheet i want to lookup the values and i want to place the results into column B

Sheet2

A B C
1 10 40 50
2 20
3 30

Sheet2 contains all the infromation that i want to look for to make the comparison.

I know that the expression used for the VLOOKUP is:

Code:
VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)

The issue i have is "col_index_num" as i want to look over multipule columns. I have been using this expression:

Code:
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$1:$J$20000,1,FALSE)

How do i change the "col_index_num" to look over all 3 columns and not just the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd??

Many Thanks

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I apologize but I am a little perplexed as to what you are asking...

How do i change the "col_index_num" to look over all 3 columns and not just the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd??

The "Col_Index_Num" parameter is referring to which column, relative to your match, you want to return the value from..

i.e., if your match was found on Row5, ColA, and your Col_Index_Num parameter was set to 2, the formula would return the value in Row5, ColB.

If you are wanting to return Col's B:D into a single cell - you could use a Concatenate to combine multiple Vlookups...

i.e.

=Concatenate(Vlookup1, Vlookup2, Vlookup3)

If that is not what your looking for, please provide more detail as to exactly what your trying to accomplish... It would be best to provide sample data, and then spell out what the result of the formula would be given your sample data provided...

Upvote 0
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. To expand on my initial question, I have created a simple spread sheet that explains the issue that I am having a little more clearly.

If you go to this Google Doc Spreadsheet you will see the scenario that i am talking about.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmXUHDmGHaUxdHJUeWRHWEZldnNhYmZGUmFrazk4amc&hl=en_GB

You will see in the doc that i am trying to look over three columns on Sheet2 but i only want to write one function that will do so.

Does this make more sense??

Many Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello,

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...GHaUxdHJUeWRHWEZldnNhYmZGUmFrazk4amc&hl=en_GB

You will see in the doc that i am trying to look over three columns on Sheet2 but i only want to write one function that will do so.

Does this make more sense??

Many Thanks
could you please help me with vlookup formula for finding
identifying non common names in excel

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj-_rtgqFgTvdGlmQUlobld6YVd6Rzk2WkxtTFFJc0E&usp=sharing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rest of the description received via PM
For Example I am having 2 excel sheets
EXCEL SHEET 1
Name age
AA 1
BB 2
CC 3
DD 4
EE 5

EXCEL SHEET 2
TABLE 2
Name Age
BB 4
CC 9
XX 7
YY 8
ZZ 5

I want to remove unique names and list repeating names in an order.
Result should be like

EXCEL SHEET 3
Name Age Name Age
BB 2 BB 4
CC 3 CC 9

In excel sheet 1 and 2... BB and CC alone common.
others should automatically get deleted.
Coule you please help me how to sort out this problem

Regards
Ram

Here is one formula based approach based on your description [On Sheet1 and Sheet2 data is placed in range A1:B10]. The first formula needs to be committed using Control + Shift + Enter key together.

Sheet3

ABC
1NameSalary 1Salary 2
2AA1133
3BB4421
4CC3355

<colgroup> <col style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> <col style="WIDTH: 64px"> <col style="WIDTH: 64px"> <col style="WIDTH: 64px"></colgroup> <tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
A2{=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$10,0)),ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10)),ROWS($A$1:A1)))}
B2=VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$10,2,0)
C2=VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$10,2,0)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Formula Array:
Produce enclosing
{ } by entering
formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4 ..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back