How to Licence and Protect my spreadsheet based applications??????

Mark McInerney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I create spreadsheet based applications and all my customers are given access to them. As soon as they cease being a client I want them to cease being in a position to use my applications. They pay for other services and I offer them free use of the applications as part of the deal.

I have been using the DoneEx compiler to help me create Registration Keys which are hardware locked and create a licence period for me. This is great but the spreadsheet becomes an .EXE file - some of my clients are not very PC literate and working with .EXE files makes things harder to transfer files between computers.

Does anybody know of another option that I can use to 'protect' my spreadsheets from unauthorised use? Is there something that can create Registration keys but not alter the file - i.e. keep it as a .xls(m) file?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Mark.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Excel is not secure no matter what you do, you can protect your vba properties and I can crack it with a free application in around 30 seconds, you can password protect it and I can use free software to tell me the password within around 10 seconds.

Sorry, I don't have any advice on what you can actually use other than your own program, but definitely no security in excel for anyone who is prepared to google a hack, the security is only good for your normal everyday user who doesn't use scripting or is too lazy to be bothered trying to crack it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back