How to limit how many can access a shared excel file at once

JoeyH

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I have shared a workbook with one drive that contains macros within. However, if both users make edits while another user is in it causes conflict when the workbook tries to save. A message will be p[rompted that "changes can't be merged". I need to be able to restrict access to one user at a time. Is this possible and if so please help!

Thank you
Joey

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hello!

I have shared a workbook with one drive that contains macros within. However, if both users make edits while another user is in it causes conflict when the workbook tries to save. A message will be p[rompted that "changes can't be merged". I need to be able to restrict access to one user at a time. Is this possible and if so please help!

Thank you
Joey
If you're files are located in SharePoint, then you have much greater control over what you're looking for. However, that's usually in enterprise environments.

If you don't have access to SharePoint, and you're using a commercial cloud storage service like OneDrive (which you stated), you'll want to look at this Microsoft article:

Work together on Office documents

And maybe this one too. However, this 2nd one will likely be only available in a business environment, but worth looking at.

Restrict access to workbooks with Information Rights Management in Excel

"Information Rights Management (IRM) helps you prevent sensitive information from being printed, forwarded, or copied by unauthorized people. The permissions are stored in the workbook where they are authenticated by an IRM server."

Upvote 0
If you're files are located in SharePoint, then you have much greater control over what you're looking for. However, that's usually in enterprise environments.

If you don't have access to SharePoint, and you're using a commercial cloud storage service like OneDrive (which you stated), you'll want to look at this Microsoft article:

Work together on Office documents

And maybe this one too. However, this 2nd one will likely be only available in a business environment, but worth looking at.

Restrict access to workbooks with Information Rights Management in Excel

"Information Rights Management (IRM) helps you prevent sensitive information from being printed, forwarded, or copied by unauthorized people. The permissions are stored in the workbook where they are authenticated by an IRM server."
Hello. I greatly appreciate the quick response. However, from the looks of this article, I'm not able to limit the number of users using the file at the same time?

Upvote 0
from the looks of this article, I'm not able to limit the number of users using the file at the same time?
That's what it looks like if you're using a non-business 365 account. Excel is not as easy to work on simultaneously with others as Word and OneNote are apparently:

1674621110420.png

If you are in a business environment, I'd touch base with your IT to see if you have SharePoint available. There you will have much more granular control because you can enforce "Check Out" policies where only one person can check out the file and needs to check it back in when they are done working on it.

Other than that, you may need to only share EDIT permissions to your Excel Workbook to one person at a time. That's more cumbersome because you have to keep changing permissions. It sounds like a conundrum if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwine77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back