how to lookup partial value within a range of cell?

crave4excel

Hi all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I have a question regarding looking up value (one word) from a range of cells. Here’s the scenario-<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have a existing list of companies with their corresponding industries<o:p></o:p>
Column A (company name), Column B (industry)<o:p></o:p>
Blueshield of America, Healthcare<o:p></o:p>
University of New York, Education<o:p></o:p>
Chevron Corporation, Oil & Gas<o:p></o:p>
USPS, Government<o:p></o:p>
…..<o:p></o:p>
…..<o:p></o:p>
And now I have a separate list of companies that I am trying to lookup within the above range of cells to find out what their industry is. However the problem is.. the company names are not always matched up 100% to the names in column A. Can someone give me some pointers on the quickest way to search if the company that I have on hand is included in the company list and the search result would gives me what industry it belongs to? Should I look up partial company name?
Thank you so much in advance:cool:

katy

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Using the formula from the link provided, does this work for you?

Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 11pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 157px"><COL style="WIDTH: 88px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD> </TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Blueshield of America</TD><TD>Healthcare</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">University of New York</TD><TD>Education</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Chevron Corporation</TD><TD>Oil & Gas</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">4</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">USPS</TD><TD>Government</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">5</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">6</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">7</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">8</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Blueshield*</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Healthcare</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">9</TD><TD>*PS*</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Government</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #00ff00"><TBODY><TR><TD>Spreadsheet Formulas</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 9pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Formula</TD></TR><TR><TD>B8</TD><TD>=INDEX($B$1:$B$4,MATCH(A8,$A$1:$A$4,0))</TD></TR><TR><TD>B9</TD><TD>=INDEX($B$1:$B$4,MATCH(A9,$A$1:$A$4,0))</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChipDude83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back