How to loop adding a column with row numbers beside each column with data, in a dynamic range

Oraekene

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. Been on this for more than a week and can't find a solution. New to VBA. I have a data sheet with multiple columns of data. I would like to add, beside each column, a column with the row numbers of each column, and to do this through the range till it hits an empty column. Something like below. My data looks like the first pic. I'd like a VBA that loops through that and turns it into the second pic. Would be grateful for any response

Attachments

• Excel Input.png
    Excel Input.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Excel Output.png
    Excel Output.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Welcome to the Board!

Will it always be on exactly 3 columns of data?

Upvote 0
How about:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
'
    Dim ColumnNumber                As Long
    Dim LastColumnNumberUsedInSheet As Long
    Dim LastRowInColumn             As Long
'
    LastColumnNumberUsedInSheet = Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column       ' Get last used column number used in the sheet
'
    For ColumnNumber = LastColumnNumberUsedInSheet To 1 Step -1                                         ' Loop backwards through columns of the sheet
        LastRowInColumn = Cells(Rows.Count, ColumnNumber).End(xlUp).Row                                 '   Save last used row of the column into LastRowInColumn
'
        With Range(Cells(1, ColumnNumber + 1), Cells(LastRowInColumn, ColumnNumber + 1))
            .Value = Evaluate("Row(" & .Address & ")")                                                  '       Set the row # for the column
        End With
'
        If ColumnNumber > 1 Then Columns(ColumnNumber).EntireColumn.Insert                              '       If ColumnNumber > 1 then insert a column to be numbered
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Another option that you could consider

VBA Code:
Sub AddRowNums()
  Dim c As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For c = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column To 1 Step -1
    Columns(c + 1).Insert
    With Range(Cells(1, c), Cells(Rows.Count, c).End(xlUp)).Offset(, 1)
      .Cells(1).Value = 1
      .DataSeries
    End With
  Next c
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Will it always be on exactly 3 columns of data?
Sorry i'm just responding now. Thought i'd get email notifications of the responses. It wouldn't always be 3 columns, more columns would be added to the sheet over time. It could extend to 100+ columns in the future. So i'd be grateful if the formula can work with a dynamic range

Upvote 0
So i'd be grateful if the formula can work with a dynamic range
So, have you tried the suggestions that have been made?

Thought i'd get email notifications of the responses
You should get an email after the first response is made after you last visited the thread. So you should have received an email after post #2, but not after posts 3 & 4. If you did not get that then you should check your spam folder and settings.

Upvote 0
How about:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
'
'
    LastColumnNumberUsedInSheet = Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column       ' Get last used column number used in the sheet
'
    For ColumnNumber = LastColumnNumberUsedInSheet To 1 Step -1                                         ' Loop backwards through columns of the sheet
        LastRowInColumn = Cells(Rows.Count, ColumnNumber).End(xlUp).Row                                 '   Save last used row of the column into LastRowInColumn
'
        With Range(Cells(1, ColumnNumber + 1), Cells(LastRowInColumn, ColumnNumber + 1))
            .Value = Evaluate("Row(" & .Address & ")")                                                  '       Set the row # for the column
        End With
'
        If ColumnNumber > 1 Then Columns(ColumnNumber).EntireColumn.Insert                              '       If ColumnNumber > 1 then insert a column to be numbered
    Next
End Sub
Thank you very much for the response. Tried this, gave me an error 1004. Attached here is an excel file of the same sample data as in the pics to help guide: Sample Data file.

The third and fourth sheets are to give an example of how the sheet could be expanded (hence why the vba needs to work with a dynamic column). Again, grateful for the responses

Upvote 0

You should get an email after the first response is made after you last visited the thread. So you should have received an email after post #2, but not after posts 3 & 4. If you did not get that then you should check your spam folder and settings.
yes i got the emails, thank you. Its how i found your response. I attach here a sample sheet of the data, to help: Sample Data Sheet. Again, grateful for your response

Upvote 0

Another option that you could consider

VBA Code:
Sub AddRowNums()
  Dim c As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For c = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column To 1 Step -1
    Columns(c + 1).Insert
    With Range(Cells(1, c), Cells(Rows.Count, c).End(xlUp)).Offset(, 1)
      .Cells(1).Value = 1
      .DataSeries
    End With
  Next c
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Thank you. I tried this, it gave me an error. I'll soon share screenshots of the error. Attached here is the sample data file: Sample Data Sheet

Upvote 0
How about:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
'
'
'
'
        End With
'
    Next
End Sub
This was the error i got with this
lastrownumberusedinsheet error dialog.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kshealy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back