How to loop adding a column with row numbers beside each column with data, in a dynamic range

Oraekene

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. Been on this for more than a week and can't find a solution. New to VBA. I have a data sheet with multiple columns of data. I would like to add, beside each column, a column with the row numbers of each column, and to do this through the range till it hits an empty column. Something like below. My data looks like the first pic. I'd like a VBA that loops through that and turns it into the second pic. Would be grateful for any response

Attachments

• Excel Input.png
    Excel Input.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Excel Output.png
    Excel Output.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 8
Another option that you could consider

VBA Code:
Sub AddRowNums()
  Dim c As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For c = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column To 1 Step -1
    Columns(c + 1).Insert
    With Range(Cells(1, c), Cells(Rows.Count, c).End(xlUp)).Offset(, 1)
      .Cells(1).Value = 1
      .DataSeries
    End With
  Next c
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
This was the error i got
dotcellsdotdataseries error dialog.png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I tested the codes in post #3 & Post #4 with your 'input' sheet and both codes executed without error.

When you get the error, click the 'Debug' button and tell us which line i highlighted yellow.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:
How to loop adding a column with row numbers beside each column in a dynamic range in

If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:
How to loop adding a column with row numbers beside each column in a dynamic range in

If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Was an error, my apologies

Upvote 0
I tested the codes in post #3 & Post #4 with your 'input' sheet and both codes executed without error.
I agree with @johnnyL. Neither code errored for me either.
As requested, please click 'Debug' when you run each of our codes and tell us which line of our code showed as the error line.

Upvote 0
This was the error i got with thisView attachment 74467
Sorry for the late response, been a bit busy. Thank you so much! Rechecked it again and it work! The forum allows me only mark 1 reply as the solution otherwise i'd have marked your response too. Again, thank you so much! I'm on the final part of the task. I need to get a sum of values for each unique item across multiple columns. So far what i've seen online is i need the combination of a sumif and index-match, but i have no idea how to write this in vba

Upvote 0
I agree with @johnnyL. Neither code errored for me either.
As requested, please click 'Debug' when you run each of our codes and tell us which line of our code showed as the error line.
Sorry for the late response, been a bit busy. Thank you so much! Rechecked it again and it work! The forum allows me only mark 1 reply as the solution otherwise i'd have marked your response too. Again, thank you so much! I'm on the final part of the task. I need to get a sum of values for each unique item across multiple columns. So far what i've seen online is i need the combination of a sumif and index-match, but i have no idea how to write this in vba

Upvote 0
This was the error i gotView attachment 74468

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back