How to Protect and Unprotect the same data range in multiple sheets AND modify this range each month. Excel 2010

varilian

This forum has already helped me to add a macro to protect and unprotect all the sheets in my work book. The one piece of the puzzle I am now missing is the ability to quickly change the range which is left open to be edited in all the sheets at once. Currently I can now protect and unprotect all the sheets with one button, however I have to go into each tab individually to edit the range that is left unprotected.

Just in case the above is not clear I can explain why I need this ability. The document is used for forecasting; each tab is for a different manager and every month the actual figures are populated. I need to lock these actuals so they can't be edited and only allow future forecast months to be updated. Resulting in a need to change the range that can be edited each month on every single tab.

I hope some one can help.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to MrExcel.

To unlock A1:A10 on the unprotected worksheet Sheet1:

Code:
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A10").Locked = False

Upvote 0
Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm very new to VBM, could you give me a bit more detail on how I should use this code. I currently use the following to lock and unlock all the sheets (I have included a blank 'start' and 'end' tab with my sheets in-between).

Sub ProtectAll()

Dim wb As Workbook
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set wb = ActiveWorkbook

For Each ws In wb.Worksheets
ws.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, _
Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, _
Password:="biscuits"
Next ws

Set wb = Nothing
Set ws = Nothing

End Sub

Sub DeProtectAll()

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ws.Unprotect Password:="biscuits"
Next ws

End Sub

Do I use your code after I have locked or unlocked them to then change the area that they will be able to edit?
Thanks again for your help

Upvote 0
You would put the code to lock/unlock ranges in the DeProtectAll procedure, inside the For Each ... Next loop.

Upvote 0
Andrew, I fear my lack of knowledge is letting me down, I have attempted to add the line as you suggest but it no longer works. Could you show me what the code should look like under the following circumstances: Three sheets titled 'A Ball', 'J Lyon', 'T Guy'. All requiring the range R5:X1000 to be the only part free to be edited when the sheet is protected.

Thanks

Upvote 0
What did you try that didn't work? Maybe:

Code:
Sub DeProtectAll()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
        With ws
            .Unprotect Password:="biscuits"
            If .Name = "A Ball" Or .Name = "J Lyon" Or .Name = "T Guy" Then
                .Cells.Locked = True
                .Range("R5:X1000").Locked = False
            End If
        End With
    Next ws
End Sub

Upvote 0
I've added this and there is no change in how it operates. I bet you wish you hadn't answered this one now Andrew, but I'm determined to solve this. My aim is:
Run one Macro and have all sheets completely unlock -DONE
Run one Macro and have all sheets locked apart from an identical range in each one - Also DONE.

The final piece I can't get is for me to be able to edit the range in an easier way than sheet by sheet in the following manner:
- Review tab - Allow Users to Edit Ranges - Set the range I want them to edit - click protect sheet, enter password.
- Repeat the above for every individual tab. Every month reducing the range that can be edited by one column, individually in each sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back