How to rank items based on user input?

rizzo93

Office Version
  1. 365
I need to create a list that shows the outcome of everybody's ranking of a list of items -- from most important to least important. Whatever item gets the most "votes" for being the most important will be the first in the list, the next item with the most votes gets the second, etc.

My users are ranking these items using Microsoft Forms and the data comes to me like this:

User 1: Gamma Ray Tron;Alpha Storm Purple;Beta Veal Orange;Omega Teal Staple;Delta Frank Ruby;
User 2: Gamma Ray Tron;Delta Frank Ruby;Beta Veal Orange;Omega Teal Staple;Alpha Storm Purple;
User 3: Gamma Ray Tron;Omega Teal Staple;Beta Veal Orange;Delta Frank Ruby;Alpha Storm Purple;
User 4: Gamma Ray Tron;Alpha Storm Purple;Omega Teal Staple;Delta Frank Ruby;Beta Veal Orange;
User 5: Alpha Storm Purple;Delta Frank Ruby;Gamma Ray Tron;Omega Teal Staple;Beta Veal Orange;

In the example above, the item that's furthest to the left is the highest priority, the one to the right of that is the second highest, and so on.

So User 1 wants Gamma Ray Tron to be the most important, then Alpha Storm Purple to be the second, and so on. Rinse and repeat for the other users.

My latest solution (which I think there has to be a better way) counts the number of times an item shows under each level of priority (1-5, in this case). If that number is the max, then it wins the vote ("W"):

11W22W33W44W55W
Alpha Storm Purple12W002W
Beta Veal Orange003W02W
Delta Frank Ruby02W02W1
Gamma Ray Tron4W0100
Omega Teal Staple01110

Is there better way and can it include automatically making a list the items in the proper order?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back