How To Search For Multiple Keywords With Similar Spellings In The Same Cell

luckyharte21

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I am having a problem searching for certain keywords that might exist in the same cell. I was using the following formula but it's not correct.

=(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"FRIEND","FRIENDS"},A3)))>0)*(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"FRIENDS REUNION","FRIEND REUNION",FRIENDS THE REUNION")}A3)))=0)

So this is what I am trying to do. In cell A3 I can have a single or multiple mention of the words "friend, friends, friends reunion, friends the reunion or friend reunion. These words might have a period after that, comma or just a space if it's more than one word. I want to be able to distinguish between these two cases. If the cell has strictly only friend or friends, I want to return a value of 1 in cell B3. If there are mentions of friend or friends AND friends reunion or friend reunion or friends the reunion or friends reunion I want to return a value of 2 in cell B3. I think the issue is the similarity in part of the wording between the 2 searches. Is it possible to isolate the situations I mentioned here?

Thank you and much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

It might help us understand better if you provided a set of sample data and expected results, say 10-15 rows, and explain again in relation to that sample data.
Best if we can copy to test with so I suggest XL2BB

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

It might help us understand better if you provided a set of sample data and expected results, say 10-15 rows, and explain again in relation to that sample data.
Best if we can copy to test with so I suggest XL2B

Hi Peter,

Sure, you are right. That would help. Here is a sample file of what the data consists of and what I expect the results to look like.

Thank you.

Attachments

• sample data - 1.jpg
    sample data - 1.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0
Hi,

This should be shorter although works for now,

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Reunion",A2)),2,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"Friend","Friends"},A2)),1,0))

enter in B2 and copy down.

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0
Hi,

This should be shorter although works for now,

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Reunion",A2)),2,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"Friend","Friends"},A2)),1,0))

enter in B2 and copy down.

View attachment 45675

Hi Vikas,

Thank you for your help. I see what you have done however if I have both words friends and friends reunion in the same cell, I need to split those up so that I can get a value of "1" for friends and a value of "1" in another cell for friends reunion.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Given the picture of your data, this should be enough

Excel Formula:
=TRANSPOSE(N(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"Friend";"Friends Reunion"},A1))))

Upvote 0
I can supply you with a Power Query solution if you are interested, however, I cannot manipulate data in a picture. If you are interested, please upload your data using XL2BB as Peter requested. When you post a picture, you are asking us to recreate your file to help you. That is a lot of work to ask for when you are getting FREE help. Help us to help you and make it easy for us to supply you with solutions that are quick and easy.

Upvote 0
I can supply you with a Power Query solution if you are interested, however, I cannot manipulate data in a picture. If you are interested, please upload your data using XL2BB as Peter requested. When you post a picture, you are asking us to recreate your file to help you. That is a lot of work to ask for when you are getting FREE help. Help us to help you and make it easy for us to supply you with solutions that are quick and easy.

Hi Sir,

I will upload a file shortly.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back