How to shorten the length of the words in excel, Foreg. if i have words of 50 characters and i want to shrink it to 25 , is there any formula to do so

dakne

How to shorten the length of the words in excel, Foreg. if i have words of 50 characters and i want to shrink it to 25 , is there any formula to do so?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Your question is not entirely clear to me. Are you asking for a way to grab the first 25 characters of a text string no matter how long that text string is? If so, and assuming the text is in cell A1, put this formula into the cell where you want to see the 25 characters...

=LEFT(A1,25)

Upvote 0
hi,sorry for not being clear, my wuestion is this is 56 characters VONTOBEL FUND - MTX SUSTAINABLE ASIAN LEADERS (EX JAPAN) and i want to shrink this to 25 characters , but i tried your formula i am getting error.

Upvote 0
hi,sorry for not being clear, my wuestion is this is 56 characters VONTOBEL FUND - MTX SUSTAINABLE ASIAN LEADERS (EX JAPAN) and i want to shrink this to 25 characters , but i tried your formula i am getting error.
Where are those 56 characters located at?

What 25 characters do you want from them?

What was the error message you got?

Upvote 0
If i want VONTOBEL FD M SU AS L EX JAPAN this from VONTOBEL FUND - MTX SUSTAINABLE ASIAN LEADERS (EX JAPAN)

Upvote 0
If i want VONTOBEL FD M SU AS L EX JAPAN this from VONTOBEL FUND - MTX SUSTAINABLE ASIAN LEADERS (EX JAPAN)
That kind of parsing would require a list of all abbreviations for all the possible "words" in all of your possible text strings. There is no way Excel or VBA, on its own, could figure out how to shrink text like you show... each abbreviation would have to be pre-listed somewhere so that the text could be searched for and the associated abbreviation retrieved. Can you provide such a list?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your help!The formula you gave previously has worked enough for me.I am greatful to you as it saved lot of time for me :) have a nice day

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaurav_7829

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back