How to solve for Wager, given betting odds and desired payout?

Contilly

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello - I am working on a spreadsheet to tell me how much I need to wager in order to get a specific payout with a given odds. I do already know how to solve for payout given the odds and wager amount, but now I want to do it backwards, in which I want wager amount to be solved automatically when I type in the desired payout and given odds.
Thank you!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I do already know how to solve for payout given the odds and wager amount

Show us that calculation. Ideally, use XL2BB to copy-and-paste data and formulas. Alternatively, __I__ have no problem with a download link to an Excel file that was uploaded to a file-sharing website. (Others do.) Or at the very least, attach a screenshot, but also copy the formulas from the Formula Bar and paste them into your posting (making note of any array-entered formula that are surrounded by curly braces).

Solving for the wager is essentially an algebraic manipulation of the payout formula. But different people record and interpret odds differently. And there might be other details in your calculation that are relevant (e.g. rounding).

Upvote 0
Show us that calculation. Ideally, use XL2BB to copy-and-paste data and formulas. Alternatively, __I__ have no problem with a download link to an Excel file that was uploaded to a file-sharing website. (Others do.) Or at the very least, attach a screenshot, but also copy the formulas from the Formula Bar and paste them into your posting (making note of any array-entered formula that are surrounded by curly braces).

Solving for the wager is essentially an algebraic manipulation of the payout formula. But different people record and interpret odds differently. And there might be other details in your calculation that are relevant (e.g. rounding).

Sorry, new to this forum, and not too familiar with add-ins, so here's a quick example:
OddsWagerProfit(-)Profit(+)PAYOUT
-200​
100.00​
50.00​
0.00​
150.00​
200​
100.00​
0.00​
200.00​
300.00​
Formula for Profit(-) = IF("Odds"<0,ABS("Wager"/("Odds"/100)),0)
Formula for Profit(+) = IF("Odds">0,ABS("Wager"*("Odds"/100)),0)
Formula for PAYOUT = "Wager"+"Profit(-)"+"Profit(+)"
Odds and Wager are the manual inputs, and PAYOUT is the output.
I'd like to have it where the Odds and PAYOUT are the manual inputs, and the Wager is the output.
Seems like I need as much help on the algebra as the excel functions - thanks for helping and offering advice!

Upvote 0
Sorry, new to this forum, and not too familiar with add-ins, so here's a quick example

I think we can work with that. I'm in the middle of something else at the moment. I won't get back to this until tonight (my time). Someone else might be able to jump in in the meantime.

Upvote 1
Formula for Profit(-) = IF("Odds"<0,ABS("Wager"/("Odds"/100)),0)
Formula for Profit(+) = IF("Odds">0,ABS("Wager"*("Odds"/100)),0)
Formula for PAYOUT = "Wager"+"Profit(-)"+"Profit(+)"

I am so-o glad you posted that. I would never-in-a-million years guessed that representation of odds and those formulas.

Without vetting the formulas, the following demonstrates how to calculate wager in column F, based on payout in column E.

I generate random odds and (intended) wager in columns A and B to generate random payout in column E.

Book1
ABCDEFG
1oddsintended wagerprofit (odds<0)profit (odds>0)payoutwager (from payout)F=B?
2-86994181083.77010501.779418TRUE
3610823180141583.4143901.42318TRUE
Sheet1

Select cells or hover the cursor over cells to see formulas.

Upvote 0
I am so-o glad you posted that. I would never-in-a-million years guessed that representation of odds and those formulas.

Without vetting the formulas, the following demonstrates how to calculate wager in column F, based on payout in column E.

I generate random odds and (intended) wager in columns A and B to generate random payout in column E.

Book1
ABCDEFG
1oddsintended wagerprofit (odds<0)profit (odds>0)payoutwager (from payout)F=B?
2-86994181083.77010501.779418TRUE
3610823180141583.4143901.42318TRUE
Sheet1

Select cells or hover the cursor over cells to see formulas.
Brilliant! Thank you - I vetted the outcomes and it works perfectly. I've been working on this for a while and you nailed it; thanks again!

Upvote 0
@ joeu2004 can you also help me with this?

Pregame Odd
Denver Nuggets Moneyline = 3.20
Los Angeles Lakers Moneyline = 1.42

I wager $1000 on Denver Nuggets pregame at odd 3.20 and I risk $1000 to win $2200. Later in the third quarter my sports book had a live wagering moneyline for the Lakers at 2.10 odd. I live hedge my bet at the moneyline 2.10 and risk $1000 to win $1100. However, my sports book only had $1000 max bet per time and after that the sports book immediately change the moneyline odd to 2.06 . How can I balance my net profit no matter the outcome of the game? This mean I have to live hedge two times because the moneyline odd changed every 5-10 seconds and the bet limit is only $1000 per time.

Below are the example I input into a spreadsheet and I want to solve for X (Live hedge bet #2) and if I can solve for X I can beat the sports book. What formula can I use to solve for X in cell B2?

ABCDE
1Live hedge bet # 2 (Lakers 2.06)Live hedge bet #1 + #2 (Lakers 2.10)Original Bet (Nuggets 3.20)Net Profit
2Stake533.981533.981000666.02
3Win566.021666.022200666.02

ABCDE
1Live hedge bet #2 (Lakers 2.06)Live hedge bet #1 + #2 (Lakers 2.10)Original Bet (Nuggets 3.20)Net Profit
2StakeX=1000+B21000=C3-D2
3Win=X*1.06=1100+B32200=D3-C2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjd513

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back