How to sort rows by date AND time

Brandi07

Hello everyone. What I am looking to do is sort the rows in my spreadsheet by date AND time. The cells also contain other data however. For example there is a date 7/23/14 4:45 PM which is then followed by text. Each cell is set up this way. I entered them in ascending order but now I want to change that to descending order. There are a lot of rows that this must be done for so I am hoping there is a way to do them all at once as well...is there a way to do this that is not overly complicated? I have been searching around and cannot find anything. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Split it into two columns. Can you paste a few sample values? Then I can let you know how to split the data.

What do you mean-like split each cell up, the date/time from the text? If that is the case that really would not work as the information needs to all stay together, and that would create way too many columns. If I am misunderstanding please let me know.

Upvote 0
What do you mean-like split each cell up, the date/time from the text? If that is the case that really would not work as the information needs to all stay together, and that would create way too many columns. If I am misunderstanding please let me know.

Then you can't really do it without adding columns. You can always hide the column or delete it after you've sorted the data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukaderanged

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back