How to sort rows in an ordered and repeating way?

csnider

I have a spreadsheet filled with rows of different smartphone apps, a little over 300 rows of them. These smartphones are divided into about 10 or so categories (for instance: sports, finance, games, entertainment...). At present, each app category is in consecutive order in the spreadsheet - so the first 24 or so are Sports, then next 24 are Finance, and so on. What I need to do is "shuffle" the entries by category, but in a structured and repeating manner (so that row 2 would be a Sports app, row 3 would be a Finance app, row 4 would be a games app, etc.).

Is there a way to do this? If so (or even if not), your thoughtful replies are greatly appreciated. Using this to prep a 2013 daily desktop calendar layout.

Using MS Excel 2008 for Mac.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Create a new column with the numbers 1 to 24 down each category. Then sort that column in ascending order and everything should fall into place.

I think that's what you're looking for

Upvote 0
Well that was probably pretty elementary, eh? Thanks for answering the noob's question - that does exactly what I need. Best regards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back