How to split every 3 worksheets into their own new wkbk

seagreen

Board Regular
Hi, this is my first post here. I've searched through the forums and cannot find a previous post that answers my question. I'm just starting to learn how to code in Excel VBA. Can anyone help with how I can write a subroutine that will take a batch of every three worksheets and write them out to a new workbook? I have a master workbook with a group of three worksheets for each person (60 worksheets in all plus a couple of summary sheets) and would like to split each person's three worksheets plus a copy of the one universal summary sheet out to a new workbook every week.

I've seen code that creates a new workbook for every worksheet but not every three. I tried writing a For each...Next loop with a counter that skips to every third (at least to get me started) but I do not know the syntax well enough to even do that.

I'll continue reading my VBA books and if I get an answer I'll come back and post it here but if anyone could help in the meantime I'd be very grateful.
Thanks.

Seagreen

Code:
The changes I made: Changed n= 0: temp = "" to
n = -2: temp = ""

I was wondering about this too...seems like the original code posted by Jindon it would copy two sheets, not three as you specified...

Maybe more typical would be:
Code:
Dim ws As Worksheet, n As Long, t As Long
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
    If ws.Name <> "summary" Then
        n = n + 1
        temp = temp & "|" & ws.Name
        [COLOR="Blue"]If n = 3 Then[/COLOR]
            t = t + 1
            Sheets(Split("summary" & temp, "|")).Copy
            ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Replace(ThisWorkbook.FullName, ".xls", ws.Name & ".xls")
            ActiveWorkbook.Close False
            [COLOR="#0000ff"]n = 0[/COLOR]: temp = ""
        End If
    End If
Next

alex

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Thanks Alex. I probably wasn't too clear as to whether I wanted three sheets including the summary sheet or three sheets in addition to the summary sheet. When I decided I was going to add another "dummy" worksheets after every 3 worksheets so that I would have a means to add the person's name to every filename, I ended up copying 4 worksheets so i use "-2" rather than "-1" in place of the n=0 that Jindon had.

Jindon's code allowed me to tweak to add new features I hadn't originally asked for. I will look at your too, Alex, so I can learn another way to tackle it.

Now I'm working on another problem (I posted another thread today) where I need to copy worksheet ranges from individual workbooks into the master. Another facet of my overall project. My overarching goal is to read workbooks from a directory, copy three sheets from each into a master, do some massaging in the master workbook, split the master into the individuals again, and mail them automatically using a personalized greeting, as well as mail the master to another person.

I've got most of the massaging in the master workbook done, I think I'm close to getting the mailing part solved, so it's mostly the copying from the individuals that I have yet to finish.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
ah - so I was wondering about that too :) - normally your counters start at 0 but if using negative two works, "don't mess with success"...

Upvote 0
Change to
Rich (BB code):
Sub test()
Dim ws As Worksheet, n As Long
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
    If ws.Name <> "summary" Then
        n = n + 1
        temp = temp & "|" & ws.Name
        If n = 4 Then
            n = 0: temp = ""
        End If
    End If
Next
If Len(temp) Then
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Jindon! Because of the number and order of my worksheets within the master, I used -2 to get it to work. I have the famous "summary" sheet first, a sheet to be skipped over 2nd, then the four I want in the first split off workbook, the next four, the next four after that, etc... until the end where I have three sheets that I don't want for a split file. If I use the -2 it gives me the right splits with a file at the beginning and one at the end that have the sheets I only need in the master. So my change isn't elegant but it's working. I am looking forward to the day when I understand the code well enough to make a more elegant solution. Again, I am SO grateful for your help! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxkapoor

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back