how to tell if excel file contains vba code or macro

suj_78

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a script or some code in excel or c# to go through set of excel files on a server and find out the files which contains macro or vba code. How to achive this?

Your help will be appreciated.

thank you.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Quick thought. Loop through the files, opening and then closing each file. If the "Enable macros?" prompt comes up.. that file contains a macro.

Another thought, check all the VBComponents.CodeModule for .CountOfLines > 0.

Upvote 0
Hello, suj_78,
WELCOME to the Board!!!!!

To my sense Mikes second suggestion will not help. If the project is locked it seems that it will not be found. So I think VBA will not help, at least I can not find a solution but will call some MVPs.
Code:
Sub test()
'if FALSE then 2 possibilities
'1. no project
'2. locked project
MsgBox HasProject(Workbooks("test.xls"))
End Sub

Function HasProject(WB As Workbook) As Boolean
Dim WbProjComp As Object
On Error Resume Next
Set WbProjComp = WB.VBProject.VBComponents
If Not WbProjComp Is Nothing Then HasProject = True
End Function
kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Hi Erik,

Do you know any MVP who can guide me with an example using Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel in .net to find the excel application with VBA code, that would be very useful.

Many Thanks guys.

Thanks to Mick as well for his time.

Upvote 0
Hi Erik,
I have found a solution, using interop application object, we can check if the workbook has VBproject associated with it or not. The property is called HASVBproject, it would be nice to know the answer of the MVP as well and do they have any comments on my findings.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Erik,
I have found a solution, using interop application object, we can check if the workbook has VBproject associated with it or not. The property is called HASVBproject, it would be nice to know the answer of the MVP as well and do they have any comments on my findings.
Thanks
I can not force any MVP to come here. :)
Can you tell what "interop application object" is? Or is there a typo "interop"?

You made me think again about the problem... It was simple, I must have been too tired yesterday :)
Code:
Sub test()
MsgBox HasProject(Workbooks("Book1.xls"))
End Sub

Function HasProject(WB As Workbook) As Boolean
Dim WbProjComp As String

On Error Resume Next
WbProjComp = WB.VBProject.Name
If Len(WbProjComp) > 0 Then HasProject = True
End Function
Of course, the name of the project is always visible, even when it is locked.

This is still not what you need: check on the internet for projects.
Can you provide the URLs of some workbooks to test? (I do not promise any results, but will try)

best regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Ok, i didn't mean to bring MVP's overe here but to get their comments on what i have solved makes sense to them or not afterall Microsoft has honored them with the title.

Interop is an assembly in .net framework. The primary function of interop as the name suggests is to provide interaction between manged code(CLR compliant code) with non manged code called windows API. If you think Excel from the point of view of managed and non managed world, it belongs to non managed world by being part of Microsoft Office Suite. .Net framweork provides a whole suite of interops for different types of office application and one of them is Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel. This assembly has got plethora of objects and members that you can play with to manipulate properties, behaviour and events belonging to excel application.

Hope the above paragraph gives you some idea if not all. Let me know if you need more info.

Once again, thanks for your time on this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back