How to use countif with more than 3 ranges?

CANNONT4

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi there,

I am trying to count how many times "2b" appears in 9 seperate ranges, like this for example:

=COUNTIF(H4:H19,J4:J19,L4:L19,N4:N19,N4:N19,P4:P19,R4:R19,T4:T19,V4:V19,X4:X19"2b")

It says I have too many arguments and would appear to allow me to count up to only 3 data ranges. Any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks,

Tom.

oh ya...wh

y your COUNTIFS didnt work is because COUNTIFS is for multiple crtiteria...not multiple cell
That's what I thought, but countif wont allow me to select more than 3 ranges, e.g. H4:H19, J4:J19, L4:L19

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Yeah..because you only have 2 count of 2b which is in H4 & P4?... What is the correct supposely answer then?
That is correct but I don't want it counting all those columns, only H,J,L,N,P,R,T,V and X. The answer will be correct for 2b but not when I go to count other data such as 3a.

Upvote 0
That is correct but I don't want it counting all those columns, only H,J,L,N,P,R,T,V and X. The answer will be correct for 2b but not when I go to count other data such as 3a.
I understand that, thats why I checked the other column first & I see all data starts with 3 & 4..means they wotn interfere...unless you intend to put 2b also in those columns

Upvote 0
I understand that, thats why I checked the other column first & I see all data starts with 3 & 4..means they wotn interfere...unless you intend to put 2b also in those columns
I need two separate counts, one for all columns headed EoY and one for all columns headed EoPH, some data such as 3a appears in both EoY and EoPH so if I simply count the whole table I will have incorrect counts as 3a appears in both EoY and EoPH. Does that make sense? So I need to count those columns separately, hense why I cant simply do a countif from h4 to x19.

Your suggestion works fine when I am looking for 2b, but I need to go on to look for 2a, 3c, 3b, 3a and so on.

Upvote 0
I need two separate counts, one for all columns headed EoY and one for all columns headed EoPH, some data such as 3a appears in both EoY and EoPH so if I simply count the whole table I will have incorrect counts as 3a appears in both EoY and EoPH. Does that make sense? So I need to count those columns separately, hense why I cant simply do a countif from h4 to x19.

Your suggestion works fine when I am looking for 2b, but I need to go on to look for 2a, 3c, 3b, 3a and so on.
ok...so you need use COUNTIFS...not countif

=COUNTIFS(H4:H12,"2b",J4:J12,"2b",L4:L12,"2b",N4:N12,"2b")

like above but you need modify the cell...try it

Upvote 0
oh wait sorry... you need use COUNTIF... it will work like this but formula will be lenghty

=COUNTIF(H4:H19,"2b")+COUNTIF(J4:J19,"2b")+countif........and so on

Upvote 0
Solution
Rather than multiple countif formulae, you can use
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((H4:X19="2b")*(MOD(COLUMN(H4:X19),2)=0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back