Huge Nesting if, Convert to Macro?

dveca

Hi, I'm self taught on Excel, so most of my solutions are not exactly beautiful simple fixes, but I have one I can't get around now.

I have a nesting if function that is accomplishing a good chunk of computing for me.

So to start, there's 39 labels that I want to check.
Some of the data I want to bring back is in a table on a different tab, and some is a basic formula.

so for instance

=if(a1="text1",vlookup("text1", table,9,false),if(a1="text2",a3/a4*a5),if(a1="text3",sum(vlookup("text 3",table,9,false),vlookup("textsup",table,9,false)

and it goes on like that. those are the three calculations I have nested for the if statements to return.

is there macro solution, or a more elegant formula to use?

thanks

Dave

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
At a very basic level, the "sum" in your formula doesn't seem to be doing anything, you can remove it.

You could also consider doing a simple VLOOKUP against A1, and then letting the formula deal with examples where a1 is not found in the table, like this

If using Excel 2007 or later...
=iferror(vlookup(a1,table,9,false),[what to do in the event of error])

If using Excel 2003 or earlier
=if(iserror(vlookup(a1,table,9,false)),[what to do in the event of error],vlookup(a1,table,9,false))

In either case, replace [what to do in the event of error] with whatever you want to do if the value in a1 is not found in the table. This could be quite a complex formula in itself.

Upvote 0
You mention that you have 39 labels you wish to check and will then have calculations for eash. Are the calculations unique for each label or is there a smaller number than 39? If smaller, how many unique calculations?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kokoanutt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back