I am trying to create a simple macro

davey11372

Board Regular
For a given cell range (eg. "A1:Z3") on Sheet1 - if any cell within that range - populates any one of the following values - "Txt1" or "Txt2" or "Txt3" - then I want the corresponding cell (same cell address) on sheet2 - to be populated with the same value ("Txt1" or "Txt2" or "Txt3") respectively.

I appreciate any assistance with the same.

Also, to have this macro up and running (continuously) as soon as the workbook is opened, do I have to do anything --- or does it start and run automatically ??

Thank you.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi
Give these codes a try
Code:
Sub auto_open()
Dim a As Long, b As Long
Dim C As String
    For a = 1 To 26
        For b = 1 To 3
        C = Sheets("sheet1").Cells(b, a)
            If C = "Txt1" Or C = "Txt2" Or C = "Txt3" Then
            Sheets("sheet2").Cells(b, a) = Sheets("sheet1").Cells(b, a)
            End If
        Next b
    Next a
MsgBox "updated"
End Sub
ravi

Upvote 0
Thanks Ravi, for the code.

It does what you have coded it to do. However, once the sheet is open, if I make changes to cell values on sheet1, it does not automatically/dynamically populate the corresponding changes in Sheet2. Only when I close the workbook, and re-open it, only then your code updates the values with a msgbox. Is it possible to script is so that it can update the corresponding values on sheet2 as the cell values in sheet1 are being updated dynamically??

Upvote 0
Could this be done with a formula on sheet 2?

in Sheet 2 A1
=IF((OR(Sheet1!A1="Txt1",Sheet1!A1="Txt2",Sheet1!A1="Txt3"))=TRUE,Sheet1!A1,"")

Upvote 0
Try the following code, which needs to be copied/pasted in the module for Sheet1...

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Intersect(Target, Range("A1:Z3")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    Select Case Target.Value
        Case "Txt1", "Txt2", "Txt3"
            Target.Copy Worksheets("Sheet2").Range(Target.Address)
    End Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry guys, I only want a macro for this function. Or may be a "function" instead of a "macro". The reason being, I have a worksheet_change event in the sheet already. But, since the worksheet_change event does not work with formulas (or rather needs a user/manual change to the worksheet), from online research, I seems a 'macro' could sidestep this and make the worksheet_change recognize the 'macro' functionality as a user change ... I hope I am clear in my explanation.

I am trying to overcome the fact that cell values derived from formulas in my worksheet are not being recognized as worksheet_change events.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
A couple of possibilities...

1. Tie the Worksheet_Change event to whatever happens to update the formulas.
  2. Use the Worksheet_Activate event instead.

How do you want to proceed?

Upvote 0
I can't say which to go with, because I am not knowledgeable of the difference. If you could explain the difference a bit. But, any one will do, as long as I can bypass the problem of formulas not being recognized as event changes.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Actually, I do have one other question...

Will the values returned by the formulas in A1:Z3 change over time. For example, if a formula returns "Txt2", can this same formula return a value other than "Txt1", "Txt2", or "Txt3" at a later time. If so, do the corresponding values in Sheet2 need to be cleared?​

Upvote 0
If I understand your question, I would say Yes and Yes. The values may be other than Txt1, txt2, txt3 at a later time and the values in Sheet 2 could be cleared.

(trying to think with anticipation - though I am not fully certain yet) - The values "Txt1", Txt2 etc. in real application would be trading signals such as Buy, sell, B2C and so on. Now, the cell that generates/populates a Buy or a SEll etc - may change to a 1 or -1 later.

In fact, I am glad you asked this question.

To explain a bit - I want to trigger Alerts/MsgBox alerts - when the Buy, Sell values are populated .... since the sheet may be minimized/in the background and I may be busy with something else. The cells have formulas, but since worksheet_change does not recognize formulas -from what I understand - If I can use/apply a Macro to - copy / paste the Value (buy/sell etc) - from Sheet1 to the corresponding cell in Sheet 2 - then that WILL be recognized as an event change - and I can use the changing cell values in sheet2 to trigger the pop up alert.

Now the reason, your question is significant is - because I would prefer that the same cell not trigger alerts repeatedly over the same/old signal - so once/if the cells in sheet1 populate a value other than Txt1, 2, 3 etc, - than with the corresponding values (txt1, 2, 3) being cleared on sheet2 would prevent alerts being triggered from the old signal.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back