I enjoy building simple excel formulas, but this RANK function "beat" me. Any suggestions?

650nmWolf

I am working on a kinda fun golf spreadsheet. I have 18 holes going across in columns (hole #1 is A1, #2 is B1, etc). Each hole is either a par 3, par 4, or par 5. Each hole has a handicap rating (or a level of difficulty between 1-18 meaning the hole with a 1 handicap is the most difficult hole). In my spreadsheet, A1 would be 1 (hole #1 ), A2 is 4 (par 4), A3 is 3 (3rd hardest hole on course). So column A looks like this:
Row 1: 1
Row 2: 4
Row 3: 3

Column B looks like this (hole #2 , par 3, 2nd hardest hole on course):
Row 1: 2
Row 2: 3
Row 3: 2

I now want to re-rank the holes, but throw out all the par 3 holes. In my example above, hole #2 is a par 3 so it would not be ranked. There are typically four par 3 holes on a course so my new ranking would eliminate those and the new handicap rankings would be 1-14 (instead of 1-18).

Here is the hard part for me and my question to you guys: If I want to add a 4th row and call it "Handicap w/o par 3's", how do I do that? Please keep in mind that I want to keep my columns lined up. Example: Hole #1 was the 3rd hardest hole, but the new 4th row should show it as being the 2nd hardest hole since hole #2 was removed.

I have tried a few things and maybe gotten close, but it is getting complicated and I still cant get the correct results. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks so much for anyone reading this far! This is not a life or death job security issue, but I still dont want to let excel beat me. Ha!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Maybe a simpler way to state my situation: 9 Olympians in a race. Russia is disqualified later for doping. What is the formula to determine the "Final Outcome" finishes (in red)?

Jersey #:123456789
Original Finish:241385769
Final Outcome:231X64X57

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Perhaps:

ABCDEFGHIJ
1Jersey #:123456789
2Country:USAUKS. AfricaRussiaUKSwissRussiaUSAFrance
3Original Finish:241385769
4Final Outcome:231X64X57

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet5

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B4=IF(B2="Russia","X",COUNTIFS($B$2:$J$2,"<>Russia",$B$3:$J$3,"<"&B3)+1)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Put the B4 formula in and drag to the right.

Upvote 0
Eric,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Very elegant, clean and simple. I appreciate you taking some time to help me here. Have a Happy New Year!:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back