Identifying approximate text values

rita08mustang

Hello all,

I have a list of 100 company names (List A), and I have a second, longer list of company names (List B). There are several company names that these two lists have in common, but the actual text differs slightly. I am trying to see if there is a way to see what names in List A appear in List B knowing that the company name in List B may differ slightly than List A.

An example of this would be "Jones Lang Lasalle" vs. "Jones Lang Lasalle Inc."

Another example would be "Allstate" vs. "The Allstate Corporation"

Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice. First Post :)

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
There isn't going to be a silver bullet on how to approach this, but here is my attempt. This will evaluate TRUE for both cases you put (if you put them in A1 and B1), but it would find "Jone Lang Lasalle" and "Jones Lang Lasalle" (The first Jones missing an 's') as FALSE.

Code:
=IF(MAX(LEN(A1),LEN(B1))>0,ISNUMBER(IF(LEN(B1)>LEN(A1),SEARCH(A1,B1),SEARCH(B1,A1))),FALSE)

Upvote 0
What you're asking for is a common problem, and there are lots of attempted solutions. Try searching for "Fuzzy lookup" in these forums or on Google. Since each situation is different, you may have to look at several solutions to find one that works for you. Here are 2 options:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15011

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...-version-plus-explanation-28.html#post3145162

The first is a free add-in from Microsoft. The second is a set of functions developed by someone on this forum. (See post #275 for the code, and 276 and 277 for some examples.) I haven't tried them, but they seem fairly robust.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HockeyBoi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back