IF and OR formula issue

willisd

Hi

I am trying to use this formula but it is not allowing me.

=if(or(AT2<DATE(2017,7,24),"settled",if(or(BE2<=DATE(2018,2,28),"settled","not settled"))

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Re: IF and OR forumal issue

=if(or(AT2<date(2017,7,24),"settled",if(or(be2<=date(2018,2,28),"settled","not settled?"))

First thing I see is a missing " at the end. Second.. you are using OR with only one test each. Perhaps this:

=IF(OR(AT2<DATE(2017,7,24),BE2<=DATE(2018,2,28)),"Settled","Not Settled")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If you are using < > in your formula put a space between them or it won't post correctly here.

Upvote 0

I think your formula is being chopped, so we cannot see it.
I am guessing it is because you are using < and/or > signs in your formula.
If you are, please post again, but put spaces before and after these signs, like this:
=if(or(AT2<date(2017,7,24),"settled",if(or(be2<=date(2018,2,28),"settled","not settled"))
< 10,...

The issue is that these signs are also used in HTML code (which this forum uses), and it think you are trying to add HTML code there and not literal < or > signs.</date(2017,7,24),"settled",if(or(be2<=date(2018,2,28),"settled","not>

Upvote 0

Hi

I am trying to use this formula but it is not allowing me.

Rich (BB code):
=if(or(AT2<DATE(2017,7,24),"settled",if(or(BE2<=DATE(2018,2,28),"settled","not settled"))
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Shortened...
Rich (BB code):
=IF(OR(AT2 < DATE(2017,7,24), BE2 <= DATE(2018,2,28)), "settled", "not settled")

Upvote 0

many thanks all but I still have issues even if I use the formula suggested by dreid1011.

What I am trying to do is say that if AT meets that criteria then return "settled" otherwise go to BE and then return based on that criteria.

Thanks

Upvote 0

What I am trying to do is say that if AT meets that criteria then return "settled" otherwise go to BE and then return based on that criteria.
Then I think what you have here is just a nested IF. You do not need any OR statements.
Code:
[COLOR=#574123]=if(AT2 [/COLOR][B]< date(2017,7,24),"settled",if(be2 [B]<= date(2018,2,28),"settled","not settled?[COLOR=#ff0000]"[/COLOR]))[/B][/B]

Upvote 0

Well assuming this was your original formula:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=if(or(AT2[/COLOR][B]<date(2017,7,24),"settled",if(or(be2[B]<=date(2018,2,28),"settled","not settled?[COLOR=#ff0000]"[/COLOR]))[/B][/B]

Then try this:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=if(AT2[/COLOR][B]<date(2017,7,24),"settled",if(be2[B]<=date(2018,2,28),"settled","not settled?[COLOR=#ff0000]"[/COLOR]))[/B][/B]

Upvote 0

many thanks all but I still have issues even if I use the formula suggested by dreid1011.

I am curious though. If both "checks" are to return the same thing ("Settled"), then the OR statement dreid1011 should work just as well as the Nested If.
If you think it is not, please provide an actual example along with your expected output.

Upvote 0

Is till cant get this to work. The date in the cells that I am looking up is in this format mm/dd/yyyy.
I always want to return settled if cell AT2 is met. If the criteria is not met (ie the date is not less than 24 july), then I want cell BE2 to be assessed.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back