IF formula:logical test; result of formula referred to

MissAJ

Board Regular
I am a teacher making a gradebook on Excel 2003 on Windows XP. Can I make the logical test part of an IF formula refer to a cell with another formula in it? Right now, the logical test of my IF formula is B6>0. B6 contains another formula, but I want the IF formula to test for the results of the formula in B6 (to be greater than 0 or not), not for the presence of a formula in B6.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.

venkat1926

I think it can be done. try an experiment
a1 2
b1 4
c1
=a1*b1
in d1 type
=if(c1>0,c1,0)
see what happens

in excel your must always with trivial examples.
venkat

MissAJ

Board Regular
Thanks very much for your reply. Everyone at this forum is great to be helpful and accomodating. In the meantime, the Lord helped me to realize that I wasn't correctly reading the formula that I was referring to, especially the results it was producing. I've repaired my logical test accordingly. Thanks again.

Aladin Akyurek

MrExcel MVP
Thanks very much for your reply. Everyone at this forum is great to be helpful and accomodating. In the meantime, the Lord helped me to realize that I wasn't correctly reading the formula that I was referring to, especially the results it was producing. I've repaired my logical test accordingly. Thanks again.

The test depends a bit on what results the formula in B6 calculates...

Code:
=IF(ISNUMBER(B6), 
      IF(B6 >0, 
          Then-Calculation, 
          Else-Calculation), 
      Else-Calculation)
or:
Code:
=IF(N(B6) >0, 
      Then-calculation,
      Else-Calculation)

Watch MrExcel Video