IF function query & strike through command

eileen123

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hello, Inquiring if possible to enter a formula that applies to a range of cells if it finds a certain word(s) - to then strike through that word? This is involving two columns of data. i.e. 1st column has a list of Services and the 2nd column has a list of Services that are staying. where would I enter the formula If I want it to find the word "checkin" in both columns (1&2) and then strike through it in the first column only (if possible). This is using Google Sheets, but assuming similar to Excel formula.

Or another way or asking is if I enter the word "checkin" in the 2nd column, can a formula be entered to find "checkin" in the first column and strike through that word?

Hoping that makes sense.
Thanks in advance!

jasonb75

Office Version
Platform
Windows
With excel you would use conditional formatting with a formula to define the rule.

Assuming that list 1 is in A2:A20 and list 2 is in B2:B20 the rule, applied to $A$2:$A$20 would be =MATCH($A2,$B$2:$B$20,0) with strikethrough selected in the font tab of the format options.

For a guide on how to apply this to google sheets, open the first dropdown under 'Advanced Conditional Formatting'

eileen123

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Jason, Thanks for that - almost worked. I entered your formula and conditional formatting, except it is putting a strikethrough in both columns A & B for the word checkin. I just want column A to have the strikethrough if the word appears in Column B. Is that possible?

eileen123

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Jason, Thanks for that - almost worked. I entered your formula and conditional formatting, except it is putting a strikethrough in both columns A & B for the word checkin. I just want column A to have the strikethrough if the word appears in Column B. Is that possible?
Jason, Disregard, I figured it out looking at the advanced instruction link you provided. Thank you so much!!!!

eileen123

Office Version
Platform
Windows
One more question, what if I wanted list 2 to apply to a block of cells instead of B2:B20 - it is B2 to I28 - what would that formula look like?

jasonb75

Office Version
Platform
Windows
MATCH only works with a single column (or row), for a block you would need an alternative such as countif.

=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$28,$A2)

Should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parrotdise

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics