IF/INDEX/MATCH Formula

tropics123

Board Regular
Hi guys, I'm running into an issue which I'm hoping someone might have a solution. For some reason, the INDEX/MATCH formula will not pull in the correct result if it's in %. For example, the IF/INDEX/MATCH formula on Sheet 1 is pulling info from Sheet 2 and the answers could be: Not Applicable, In Service, Out of Date, 100%. The issue is, the result isn't returning the correct answer when it's in %.

Example, Cell B2 on Sheet 1 is looking for Lewis' "Client Info", which is 100% and the returned result shows 1. My formula is also stating that if the answer is "100%", then show the answer as "100% Ready for Processing". However, since the result returns as "1" instead of 100%, the IF formula isn't giving the answer of "100% Ready for Processing."

Please help!

Sheet 2
NameClient Info
BobNot Applicable
JennyIn Service
MaryOut of Date
Lewis100%

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
That is because 100% is actually equal to 1! If you just format the column with the results as a Percentage, it will show you 100%.

In mathematical terms,
100% = 1
90% = .9
75% = .75
etc

Upvote 0
If you do not have any other Client Info that will return as 1 then just edit your IF statement to like...

IF(???? = 1 then "100% Ready for processing", ??????)

Upvote 0
All you really need to do is format the cell/column where the values are being returned to a Percentage.
As all the other options are text strings, formatting the cells as a Percentage will have no impact of those.

Upvote 0
All you really need to do is format the cell/column where the values are being returned to a Percentage.
As all the other options are text strings, formatting the cells as a Percentage will have no impact of those.
Hi @Joe4 I had tried to change the format to percentage and unfortunately, it didn't work.

Upvote 0
Hi @Joe4 I had tried to change the format to percentage and unfortunately, it didn't work.
Then I don't think you did it correctly.
Go to the cell that is returning the 1 and do the following:
1. Right-click on the cell
2. Select "Format Cells"
3. Go to the Number tab
4. Select "Percentage" and set Decimals to 0
5. Click "OK"

Is that still does not work, please post your formula, as I suspect something may be going on to change the value to text.

Upvote 0
Then I don't think you did it correctly.
Go to the cell that is returning the 1 and do the following:
1. Right-click on the cell
2. Select "Format Cells"
3. Go to the Number tab
4. Select "Percentage" and set Decimals to 0
5. Click "OK"

Is that still does not work, please post your formula, as I suspect something may be going on to change the value to text.
@Joe4 Here is my formula. If the result is 100%, then show "100% Ready for Processing", if not then return whatever that's in column B for Lewis or whichever name is entered in cell B2 on Sheet1.

Current Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(Sheet2!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Sheet1'!$B$2,INDEX(Sheet2!$1:$1048576,,MATCH("Name",Sheet2!$1:$1,0)),0),MATCH("Client Info",Sheet2!$1:$1,0))="100%","100% Ready for Processing",INDEX(Sheet2!$1:$1048576,MATCH(Sheet1!$B$2,INDEX(Sheet2!$1:$1048576,,MATCH("Name",Sheet2!$1:$1,0)),0),MATCH("Client Info",Sheet2!$1:$1,0))),"")

Upvote 0
The issue is you are returning a number, but appear to be checking for a text entry of 100% (anything enclosed in quotes, like "100%" is treated as literal text).

Try changing the ="100%" part of your formula to 100% or 1 (with no double quotes).

Upvote 0
The issue is you are returning a number, but appear to be checking for a text entry of 100% (anything enclosed in quotes, like "100%" is treated as literal text).

Try changing the ="100%" part of your formula to 100% or 1 (with no double quotes).
@Joe4 Ah, that fixed it! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p17tootie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back