IF with Count by Colour

DYB

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to use a formula that counts a cell colour in one column based on a text value (YES or NO) in a different column. The formula I am using is

=IF(Enrolled_Accommodation="YES",CountByColor(Enrolments!EK$4:EK$1499,83,140,213),0)

The CountByColor is VBA code that works absolutely fine on its own but when combined with the IF statement it reports just the CountByColor value disregarding whether the 'Enrolled_Accommodation' value is YES or not.

The VBA code I am using is:

Public Function CountByColor(rng As Range, Red As Long, Green As Long, Blue As Long) As Long

Dim lCount As Long
Dim rngCell As Range
For Each rngCell In rng
If rngCell.Interior.Color = RGB(Red, Green, Blue) Then
lCount = lCount + 1
End If
Next
CountByColor = lCount
End Function

Is anyone able to tell me what I need to change in either the VBA or formula?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
What does Enrolled_Accommodation refer to? Is it a single cell, or a range that is parallel to the one used in CountByColor which should be evaluated row by row?

In the case of the latter (which seems more likely) you would need to use IF inside of CountByColor, not outside as you have done. However, the way that the code is written will not allow you do this so the code will need to be changed if that is what is required.

Upvote 0
Hi

It is a named range that is parallel to the column 'Enrolments!EK$4:EK$1499' which refers to a specific week of the year. The formula is used across the whole worksheet, column by column (i.e., EK, EL, EM, EN etc).

Upvote 0
I haven't done any testing on this, it's just a quick edit to the code from your question. Hopefully no errors in there.

=CountByColor(Enrolled_Accommodation,"YES",Enrolments!EK$4:EK$1499,83,140,213)

VBA Code:
Public Function CountByColor(rng As Range, crit As String, rng2 As Range, Red As Long, Green As Long, Blue As Long) As Long

Dim lCount As Long, rw As Long

For rw = 1 To rng.Rows.Count
    If rng2(rw).Interior.Color = RGB(Red, Green, Blue) And UCase(rng(rw).Value) = UCase(crit) Then
        lCount = lCount + 1
    End If
Next
CountByColor = lCount
End Function

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you so much as that seems to work fine!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back