Import data from workbooks, convert them and paste it in "main" Workbook

Ruggler

Hello MrExcel forumers and experts,

For sometime now I'm facing this problem I have and I'm hoping that you guys can help me solve it. I've tried using the advanced search but none really solve the exact issue I'm having.

Here it goes:

I need help extracting and editing data from several existing Workbooks (.csv) and put that data into one Workbook. Here is the thoughtprocess and addional information:

First off I'll download the amount of .cvs workbooks i want to add to the "main wb". These downloaded .csv workbooks all contain of one single sheet of data and will all be stored in the same map; XPO_SupplyMutations

Next I want the macro to add the data from each workbook to the main workbook, one by one, sheet by sheet, and in order (numerical probably or by date added to the map), BUT, before it adds the data from the workbook into a new sheet, it also needs to convert the data in column J for every workbook into a string instead of a value, because it contains over 15 characters and I need all 18 characters to be the same and not differentiate. 'I believe this is called import from external data

I hope this still makes any sense to you guys, as English is not my main language and I tried to be as clear and detailed as possible.

Summary of it all:

(user does this) : download the workbooks that i need to extract data from (all the data needed is located on Sheet 1 , on every single workbook that's downloaded this will be the same)
(user does this) : drag & drop or save all these downloaded workbooks into the map : XPO_SupplyMutations
(macro does this) : create a new sheet in the existing main Workbook and add the data from the 1st workbook
(macro does this) : before adding the data to the new sheet it needs the cells in the J-column to be converted to text 'i believe this is called import external data ????
(macro does this) : repeat the above untill all workbooks in the map XPO_SupplyMutations are being met and used.

Hope this is detailed enough for you guys to maybe help me!

Cheers!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back