import to multiple sheets

ianjwerner

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a CSV file/text file that has over the line limit. I want to use excel Data > get data from text/csv but load the data into two different sheets.

Currently I am getting an error that says load only what will be visible or cancel. Is it possible to update the import settings?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
What are you trying to do? You can load millions of rows into the data model (Power Pivot) and summarise the data from there. It’s hard to image you want to be able to see more than a million lines of data in detail on one page. There are other ways of presenting the data.

Upvote 0
What are you trying to do? You can load millions of rows into the data model (Power Pivot) and summarise the data from there. It’s hard to image you want to be able to see more than a million lines of data in detail on one page. There are other ways of presenting the data.
I am trying to load a text file from an ERP program that has too many lines. We need the file in an excel format as a historical reference and current reference document so that multiple employees can utilize the information.

I need to have a way where I can import the data and split it into 2 or 3 tabs in excel. Currently I am opening the document in Notepad and splitting up the information into multiple CSV documents, opening the CSV files and creating a tab for each in excel.

Upvote 0
You can do this using the approach I covered above. I know one thing for sure; employees cannot easily find data in a multi-sheet workbook with a million records on each sheet. If they want to find the data, they have to search. So given this fact, why not do as I have proposed.
1. load the data into the data model as a flat table
2. you can insert a pivot table into the workbook with filters on the key search criteria
3. You can double click on the results in the pivot table to extra a subset of the records that have been returned.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back