Power Automate Disapproves of my CSV file if base64ToString is used

xarzu

I am attempting a Power Automate tutorial that is intended to read a CSV file into a SharePoint List. The way it is being done is to create a new Power Automate flow and pick the "Instant cloud flow" option and choose to
use the "Manually trigger a flow" as the type. We set up the first step of the flow to request the input data in the form of a CSV file from the user.

Then we add a step. This step is a Compose Data Operation which uses the base64ToString expression. The input to the base64ToString() expression, we add the Dynamic Content and I picked "Upload CSV".

I should mention at this point that my UI is a little different from the UI of the tutorial. I believe we are using different versions of Power Automate. The instructor had a button "Upload CSV" but I had to select this option from a list.

This screen shot shows the code that the generated when the instructor clicked on "Upload CSV".

instructor-upload-csv.png

Notice that the generated string contains what seems to be a part: ['contains(collection, value)'] but it is not sure since we only see a small part of this display.

My experience is different, it lacks this "contains" part:

my-upload-csv.png

I mention all this because it might have something to do with the error I get. When I try to test my flow, the error I get says:

InvalidTemplate
Unable to process template language expressions in action 'CSVData' inputs at line '0' and column '0'. The template language function 'base64ToString' expects its parameter to ba a string. The provided value is of type 'Object'.
Please see Reference guide for expression functions - Azure Logic Apps for usage details.

The webpage segment mentioned in the error message ( Reference guide for expression functions - Azure Logic Apps ) has an example where the base64-encoded string, "aGVsbG8=" is converted to the string "hello". This might be my problem. I am not sure if this csv file is base64. So, how to I check this and how to I ensure it is converted? Also, what should I make of the missing part of the command I have mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back