[Lists] Updating a column's content from another List when adding an entry

Eawyne

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been toying around with Lists as my boss tasked me to update our data input from Excel. Lists is cleaner-looking and more corporate. I can get behind that.

Thing is, in my Excel file, I used macros extensively, but one key element was to check in other sheets when data was entered, and if there's a match, a message can be displayed, or it goes to open a local file.

It appears that there's a "lookup" option to check in another list, but so far, I still need to manually pick the match in a list - and I can't have it open my file if needed. It appears I'll need Power Apps - and the users will all be on PC - there might be an upgrade to phones in an unforeseeable future.

To be fair, I'm having trouble getting into those new tools - learning VBA is still a thing ! I might have the wrong approach, but I really can't seem to find resources to help figure out to properly use them. Would anyone have some suggestions on how to pull this up ? And as a secondary question, would anyone have some noob-friendly tutorials and guides ? What I've found never seems to properly fit what I'm looking for.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
In Power Apps, the syntax is a little bit different then Excel, but it is pretty easy to get your hands on.
Before you enter the data, you can indeed do a lookup in your current list, to check for existing records.

This is a simple example to lookup a record to get you started ;)

Excel Formula:
if(isempty(lookup(yourlist, Department= "sales" && Age > 24)), Notify("Record already exists"), do stuff if false)

Upvote 0
Hey, sorry for the late response, but it's been a hectic month !

I'm not too used to Excel's syntax, but I recognize what it's doing indeed ^^ However, I have no clue what to do with this now... 😅

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back