Incrementing All References in Continuing

Winnie Ellerman

Please help! I have been teaching myself excel to help out my school with a more efficient grade entering system. I am creating a workbook that has all the students marks entered in rows on the first sheet called Marks!, analysis of grades for the entire class on the second sheet called Analysis!, then subsequent sheets have each student's individualized report card called Report (1), Report (2), etc. The cells in the report card reference the Marks! Sheet in a lot of different places.

Is there any way to create a Report (2) sheet that increments each cell reference in Report (1) by one? I have to make 70 report cards and copying the formulas by hand leaves room for error and will take days.

When I looked at similar projects that people posted here, it seemed like there's a way to increment one cell but was lost trying to figure out how to do each reference, the same kind of way the autofill option works within on worksheet.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
You could lookup the grades by name then you could make a copy of the report sheet and change the name and all the grades will update.

ABCDEFGHIJKL
1namegrade1grade2grade3grade4grade5grade6grade7grade8grade9grade10grade11
2Name1CDCCCCCCCCC
3Name2BCCBCCACBCC
4Name3CCCCCCCCCCC
5Name4FFDCDCCCCCC
6Name5CCCCCCCCCCC
7Name6CCCCCCCCCCC
8Name7AAAAABABAAB

<tbody>
</tbody>
Marks
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Report cardgrade1grade2grade3grade4grade5grade6grade7grade8grade9grade10grade11
2Name1CDCCCCCCCCC

<tbody>
</tbody>
Report (1)

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B2=INDEX(Marks!$B$2:$L$8,MATCH($A$2,Marks!$A$2:$A$8,0),COLUMNS(($B2:B2)))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Copy the formula in B2 across

Then make a copy of Report (1) and change the name and all the grades will update.
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Report cardgrade1grade2grade3grade4grade5grade6grade7grade8grade9grade10grade11
2Name2BCCBCCACBCC

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Report (2)

Upvote 0
Winnie Ellerman,

Welcome to the Board.

I have been teaching myself excel...
Good for you!

You might consider exploring Excel's PivotTable feature, using the data on the Marks worksheet as the source. PivotTable reports are highly configurable and produce consistent results.

Cheers,

tonyyy

Upvote 0
Hi Scott!

Thank you for your help and detailed comment. In my Marks sheet, I have subject names in each column and student names in each row, like you have shown. However, some students don't take all the class so the report card that I have created has a lot of if statements allowing the value to only show up if the student has marks for the class.

I'm not entirely sure how to implement your suggestion into my sheet and still keep in tact all the things that my formulas currently do. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Winnie

Upvote 0
If the cell will be blank when a student does not take a class then you can use the formula below to return "blank" instead of a 0 to the cell on the report sheet
Code:
=IF(INDEX(Marks!$B$2:$L$8,MATCH($A$2,Marks!$A$2:$A$8,0),COLUMNS(($B2:B2)))=0,"",INDEX(Marks!$B$2:$L$8,MATCH($A$2,Marks!$A$2:$A$8,0),COLUMNS(($B2:B2))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back