Independent Rounding in VBA

that1guy

Hi Gurus of Excel,

Hopefully my goal is possible... Here's what I'm shooting for:

I am working on a spreadsheet to calculate sales tax percentages or sales tax amounts. There are 3 cells involved with my attempted calculations. The first is a cell ("D3") formatted for accounting with 2 decimal places for the subtotal. (eg: $495.00) I have a second cell ("B5") formatted for percentages that include 3 decimal places for the applicable sales tax. (eg: 15.275%) I have a third cell ("D5") formatted for accounting with 2 decimal places for the sales tax dollar amount. (eg: $11.27)

I am working on VBA code to calculate either the second or third cell depending on which of the two is filled by the user. (If the user provides the sales tax%, the sales tax $ will be calculated... if the user provides the sales tax $ amount, the sales tax% will be calculated)

The issue I am having is around the rounding calculations I need the code to perform. If the user provides a sales tax % that results in a sales tax $ amount with more than 2 decimal places, the amount must round up. My current code does this, but here's the issue...

I need the value entered in the sales tax % cell to remain as the value entered. Only the sales tax $ value should be altered by the rounding process. My current code will provide the correct rounded sales tax $ amount, but is also rewriting the sales tax % cell with the rounded value.

Can anyone help me figure out a way to have the sales tax % value stay the same while provided the rounded sales tax $ value? I have included the code I am currently running below. Thanks in advance!

(If you're feeling ambitious, there is also another annoying issue I am having where the value entered in the sales tax % cell will automatically at 2 zeros before the decimal point. If I enter 13, the cell shows 1300.000%. If I then enter the value 13 over the cell again, it will format correctly as 13.000%. Weird. :confused:)

Thanks Again!

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim TaxPerc As Range 'not active
Dim RoundVal As Long 'not active

Set TaxPerc = Range("B5") 'not active

If Not Application.Intersect(TaxPerc, Range(Target.Address)) _
Is Nothing Then
Dim inNumber, OutNumber As Double
Dim decPlaces As Integer
decPlaces = 2
inNumber = Range("D3").Value * Range("B5").Value
OutNumber = WorksheetFunction.RoundUp(inNumber, decPlaces)
Range("D5").Value = OutNumber

Else
Range("B5").Value = Range("D5").Value / Range("D3").Value

End If
End Sub

Code:
Range("D5").Value2 = worksheetfunction.ceiling(Range("D3").Value2 * Range("B5").Value2, 0.01)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
That rocks! You're the best, shg. Thanks for you patience and perseverance working on my little vba puzzle. Your codes were much more effective than my usual attempts to fix things. :)hammer:) Hopefully someday I will know enough to return the favor... until then, feel free to contact me if you need anything noob-i-fied!

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

The brain-cramp problem was that the code changing the cells retriggers the change event. Just wasn't paying attention.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back