INDIRECT and horizontal reference to vertical fill

KTJo4

I have a large spreadsheet with several sheets. Sheet1-Sheet5, have data running across horizontally on every other column (a1, c1, e1, etc.). On Sheet6, cell A1, I need to calculate the sum of A1 on all previous sheets. However, I need to drag the formula down so that A2 calculates the sum of C1 on all previous sheets, A3=sum of E1, and so on. I believe I need to use the Indirect function but I'm not familiar enough with it to get it formatted correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi,

You could test in sheet6 cell A1 : =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1)

HTH

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. However, for the sake of asking this question I simplified the specifics of the spreadsheet. I actually have 20 sheets, but only need to reference 5 of them, and they are not actually named Sheet1, Sheet2, etc; nor are they adjacent to eachother. Additionally, I still need to be able to drag the formula down so that it is referencing across every 2nd column.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I do not know how familiar you are with User Defined Function (UDF) ... but given your specific constraints, it would be much more flexible ...

As far as the adjustment for every 2nd column ... you could test =ADDRESS(1,(ROW()*2)-1,4) starting on row 1 ...

HTH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi again,

Within your Sheet 6 , you could list all the various Sheet Names concerned ... say in range G1:G5

then in cell A1 , you could test fomula : =SUMPRODUCT(N(INDIRECT("'"&$G$1:$G$5&"'!"&ADDRESS(1,(ROW()*2)-1,4))))

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back