Insert shapes into certain positions with a formula?

mtaylor7

I made a calendar in excel that grabs projects from a project data sheet, and then uses conditional formatting to color a cell if the date on the calendar is in between the start and end date of the project. Each day in the calendar is about 15 cells high so that there can be up to 15 different colored cells depicting that the certain date in the cell is during when the project is going. Everything works great, but the problem is this:

I now want to label each of the rows that are colored with the name of the project, but i cant figure out how to get the name to land on just the colored cells all the time. The dates are constantly changing and the positions of the colored cells are changing with them.

I thought that maybe if there was any way that you could use a function to create a shape that was input in a range of cells that it would work, you could just put the name in the shape, center it, and then make the fill and the border have no fill. Is something like this possible? or if not is there a better solution? If not, if anyone knows of a different program that could pull a bunch of dates from excel and make a calendar with labeled bars on it that I could use i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajaykosuri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back