invitation to become a member of DRAFT

Erik gets "drafter" by analogy to linguistic objects like drink+er, an unfortunate homonym of "drafter" you think of. Some would possibly construe DRAFT'er as close to draftee...
Aladin,

correction :) (the only chance to correct you once in a lifetime :LOL:)
it's not me who came up with the term DRAFTER

but indeed, I would agree with this linguistic explanation
in Dutch - as you know - we've got a lot of those words

and ... if I dare to ask ... it would be very nice to see your AVATAR here

greetings from Belgium
Erik

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Greg

OK - maybe I'm reading in something that ain't there... but seems to me that you Brits are kinda using "drafter" in a manner a bit different than what we Yanks are used to seeing. Here a "drafter" would be someone that draws up an idea or a rough draft of a document or speech. Or it might be used to refer to a draftsman, i.e. someone that prepares building- or mechanical drawings for an architectual or engineering firm. But between our member onlyadrafter's sig and now Jamie's question; you chaps have me scratching my noggin wondering if "drafter" is some type of slang word in the UK?

Correct that is what I do -

someone that prepares building- or mechanical drawings for an architectual or engineering firm

Having re-read this whole post (yes - it is a slow day) the first mention of DRAFTER comes from Jamie Duncan on Page 29 to which Erik replied

Quote:
am i now a DRAFTer?

according to the initial post of this thread YOU ARE
WELCOME !!

This raises the question of what exactly is DRAFT?

As far as I see it, you can become a member.
Now define member,

(n.) Hence, a part of a whole; an independent constituent of a body
(n.) One of the persons composing a society, community, or the like; an individual forming part of an association; as, a member of the society of Friends.

Now many nouns have suffixes, -er is one of them.
Think of it this way,

A person from New York, is a New Yorker (correct me if im wrong)
A lawyer is a person involved with the law

there are other examples but I digress,
can it not be said that a member of DRAFT is a DRAFTer?
A suffix is added to words of groups to define the singular
Draftish, Drafton doesnt sound right, draftee maybe but i still like drafter.

Any thoughts?

Jamie,

that's exactly how I felt your post
just what Aladin said about drink-er

you guys are learning this flemmish speaking guy a lot :biggrin:
thanks !

any more DRAFTers around here ?

OK - so now it's a bit clearer; I was imagining the whole "double entendre" thing. OnlyADrafter's sig read "Only a drafter but the best one at this company". Taking that and adding Jamie's remark "am I know a drafter"? Made me wonder if perhaps the Brits used the term "drafter" as some type of a play on the sports-related definition of drafting (driving a car or riding a bicycle in the "draft" of a leading car/bicycle) meaning a person that rides behind, conserving energy only to try to pass right at the finish line. However, it would appear that these we simply my own mad musings.

So, as to are we "drafters"? No. Erik is the one recruiting members to the movement, putting him in the role of drafter. We are draftees, so yes, Hatman, you've let yerself get drafted.

On a separate note: Nate is likely a drafter but more in the sense of definition #36 in hatman's citation: he is probably more likely to be drawn [to] a cask of ale than to be found near a sealed bottle. :LOL:

That may be, but I'm not the one looking for deeper meaning into the word 'draft' :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back