IRR with IF

xunda_gunda

Hello,

I need help with IRR formula. I have several loan ID-s and for cash flows and date of payment for each loan ID. I want to calculate IRR for every Loan ID. I need formula sort of SUMIF, but for IRR calculation.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
It's hard to make out what you're asking. If your data looks like this:
Column A: Loan ID
Column B: Payment Date
Column C: Cash Flow Amount

If that's the case, and if you want to run an IRR for each LoanID, you would spend a lot of time trying to write a conditional XIRR formula. I wouldn't do it that way, unless you've got weeks to develop and test. Even still, it would be an error prone process.

Here's what I would do instead:
1. Add a column D, which will turn the dates in Column A to month end. It will be =EOMONTH(A1,0). The difference between the actual date and the end of the month won't meaningfully impact the IRR calculation.
2. Create a table that has loan IDs going down the page, and set of dates going out to the right that correspond with the dates in step 1.
3. In the body of the table, use a =SUMIF or =SUMIFS to aggregate the cashflows by month, by loan. (You could also do steps 1-3 with a pivot table).
4. Now you can run an XIRR of the cashflows against the dates at the top. Using =IRR is asking for trouble. I'd use =XIRR.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back