Is it possible to pick up the <>= symbols from a cell for a conditional formatting?

szita2000

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys.

I am trying to build a sheet where our management can set targets based on cell values, and the <,>,<=,>=,=symbols in another cell.

Here is my mock up for the conditional formula which does not evaluate at the moment.

I also tried to operate with the INDIRECT formula to pick up the symbols, but not working.
How can I do this?

This is what I tested so far, and if I evaluate the Logical test it gives me "1=0"
Can't get the MrExcel addon to work with the new forum, so quickly here is a table as an example. (Under the headers let's say this is row 2).

EIJK
1=IF($E2&($J$2&$K$2),1,0)=0

How can I write this formula so the value is picked up as a value from E2 then the rest of the evaluation as symbols inside of the IF?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
IN conditional formatting , the formula would be written as:

=$E2={some value}

The condition has to be wither true or false. So if you put is =1=1 then you would have a true condition where as =1="Anything other than 1" will give a false.

So you could do something like: =$E2= ($J$2&$K$2)
And if $J$2="This is" and $K$2-"a test" then if $E2="This is a test" then the condition will not be met, but $E2="This isa test" the condition will be met.

Remember you need a true or a false condition.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
IN conditional formatting , the formula would be written as:

=$E2={some value}

The condition has to be wither true or false. So if you put is =1=1 then you would have a true condition where as =1="Anything other than 1" will give a false.

So you could do something like: =$E2= ($J$2&$K$2)
And if $J$2="This is" and $K$2-"a test" then if $E2="This is a test" then the condition will not be met, but $E2="This isa test" the condition will be met.

Remember you need a true or a false condition.
Hi CountTepes.
Unfortunately This does not work in my case.
I understand the basic principle of conditional formatting, but the goal of this would be so the equal, greater than, smaller than symbols are picked up from a cell. as well as the value that I want to evaluate to.

Upvote 0
I assume by that that you mean E2 has a value, $K$2 has a value and $J$2 has a symbol ><=

In which case, set up 3 rules, one for each symbol and do the appropriate comparison for that symbol

I did it for A1,B1 and C1

=IF($B1="=",$A1=$C1)
=IF($B1="<",$A1<$C1)
=IF($B1=">",$A1>$C1)

In this instance it will only highlight in a specific colour, if the condition is true.

If they are all false then nothing will highlight

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
I assume by that that you mean E2 has a value, $K$2 has a value and $J$2 has a symbol ><=

In which case, set up 3 rules, one for each symbol and do the appropriate comparison for that symbol

I did it for A1,B1 and C1

=IF($B1="=",$A1=$C1)
=IF($B1="<",$A1<$C1)
=IF($B1=">",$A1>$C1)

In this instance it will only highlight in a specific colour, if the condition is true.

If they are all false then nothing will highlight
Hi CountTepes!
This actually works! Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back