Is there a formula for me?

levy2725

I am new to both statistical analysis and Microsoft Excel, which I am sure will become apparent from my question.

I write for a basketball blog, and I have a question about what type of analysis or formula to use.
My idea was to compile a database of statistics for a group of basketball players and then use some sort of statistical formula to compare this to the statistics of Player A, and be able to say which player from the large group is statistically most similar to Player A. My first thought was to use correlations, but I believe this is flawed because the statistics of one player aren't dependent on the statistics of the other. I found some functions in Excel called VAR and VARP which sound like they might be what I need, but I am not sure how to interpret the numeric results of these formulas. A friend suggested a multiple regression analysis but I am not sure that is mathematically appropriate for what I am trying to do.
To re-state and hopefully clarify: I would like to be able to take a single player, and compare that single player to the entire group using the same statistics as points for comparison. I am then hoping there is a numeric way to represent which player from the large group has the most similar statistical profile. If you have any idea what type of formula or tool I might be able to use to accomplish this, and then how I might interpret the numeric results it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back