Is there a limit on the number of calculated fields in PowerPivot?

bigck2

Board Regular
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a limit to the number of calculated fields I can add in PowerPivot? I am using excel 2013, and have been pretty liberal in making calculated fields in my powerpivot data model. I believe I have close to 50 and need to add many more. Will I hit a wall? Or is there basically no limit?

I really don't want to get much farther and then hit a wall.

Also I have been adding these to the main Fact table. In my data model I have three tables. The main one with data, and then two smaller tables - one for dates/time intelligence - then one for asset details.

I'm wondering if the best practice is to set up a specific table just for the calculated fields? I have to admit my PivotTables are becoming a little cumbersome with so many fields in the main data table.

Thanks in advance for sharing any wisdom in these areas.

-Chris

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Haha, I'm not going to lie this may be my first rodeo. I am sure there are a number of mistakes I am making this go around. Thanks for sharing that article.

In my defense I have used next to zero calculated columns. I'm leaning heavy on calculated fields, which is why I am wondering if there is a limit??

Upvote 0
Haha. I was not a generous listener and thought you meant columns...

When you say Calculated field I imagine you mean Measures.

I imagine there is some limit but, I also seem to remember that they pretty much sit idle until you drop them onto the Pivot.

Scottsen might have more to add but, I think sky's the limit.

Upvote 0
Go nuts. :)

I have never seen a limit there, kinda doubt there is one... but, now you got me curious... how many you got!?

Upvote 0
There is virtually no limit....2 billion+

ObjectSpecification / Limit
Number of calculated measures in a table(2^31) - 1 = 2,147,483,647

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413465(v=sql.110).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I have started placing calculated fields into their own special table(s). This is just in case I have to rebuild a table or data connection. In tabular models, you can utilize BIDS Helper in order to organize your measures into folders. In PowerPivot, it may make more sense to create a special table per measure category (i.e Sales / Inventory / Purchasing / Manufacturing / Etc.). This makes it easier for the end user to navigate to select measures.

I would suggest looking into dimension slicers to reduce the number of calculated fields. As well, typically first-time BI solutions say they want every flavor of time intelligence measure for each and every measure and then do not utilize them...so be weary.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all for your feedback. I don't think I'll be hitting that limit any time soon!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back