Is Today =True - Date column wrong Power Query code.

elliotstan

Hi All,
I have a powerquery script to create my date table. Think I copied it from powerpivotpro.com (great site)
Has been working ok but I just realised that the IsToday column is wrong.
Right now it is Wednesday the 9th of September but it thinks today is Tuesday the 9th of September.

below is the code I use

Any help appreciated.

Code:
let

CreateDateTable = (StartDate, EndDate) =>

let

/*StartDate=#date(2008,1,1),

EndDate=#date(2019,12,31),*/

//Create lists of month and day names for use later on

MonthList = {"January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June"

, "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December"},

DayList = {"Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday"},

//Find the number of days between the end date and the start date

NumberOfDates = Duration.Days(EndDate-StartDate),

//Generate a continuous list of dates from the start date to the end date

DateList = List.Dates(StartDate, NumberOfDates, #duration(1, 0, 0, 0)),

//Turn this list into a table

TableFromList = Table.FromList(DateList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Date"}

, null, ExtraValues.Error),

//Caste the single column in the table to type date

ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableFromList,{{"Date", type date}}),

//Add custom columns for day of month, month number, year

DayOfMonth = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "DayOfMonth", each Date.Day([Date])),

MonthNumber = Table.AddColumn(DayOfMonth, "MonthNumberOfYear", each Date.Month([Date])),

Year = Table.AddColumn(MonthNumber, "Year", each Date.Year([Date])),

DayOfWeekNumber = Table.AddColumn(Year, "DayOfWeekNumber", each Date.DayOfWeek([Date])+1), 

//Since Power Query doesn't have functions to return day or month names, 

//use the lists created earlier for this

MonthName = Table.AddColumn(DayOfWeekNumber, "MonthName", each MonthList{[MonthNumberOfYear]-1}),

DayName = Table.AddColumn(MonthName, "DayName", each DayList{[DayOfWeekNumber]-1}),

//Add a column that returns true if the date on rows is the current date

IsToday = Table.AddColumn(DayName, "IsToday", each Date.IsInCurrentDay([Date]))

in
IsToday,
    #"Invoked FunctionCreateDateTable1" = CreateDateTable(#date(2008, 1, 1), #date(2019, 12, 31)),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Invoked FunctionCreateDateTable1", each ([IsToday] = true))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I think this is due to different calendar Settings: The code you've provided would deliver the correct results if the first day of the week would be sunday. But yours is probably monday. So try putting sunday at the end of the DayList.

Upvote 0
Hi elliotstan,
I'm late but for further cases you can use the second argument of Date.DayOfWeek function to be sure which day is the first day of week.
So the line should look like this below.
Code:
DayOfWeekNumber = Table.AddColumn(Year, "DayOfWeekNumber", each Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Sunday)+1),
Additionally, you do not need lists (MonthList and DayList) if you use Date.ToText function. In this case you can choose language (culture) as you wish for the name of the month or day
Code:
MonthName = Table.AddColumn(DayOfWeekNumber, "MonthName", each Date.ToText([Date], "MMMM", "en-US")),

DayName = Table.AddColumn(MonthName, "DayName", each Date.ToText([Date], "dddd", "en-US")),

So, this part
Code:
    MonthList = {"January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June"

, "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December"},

DayList = {"Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday"},
is not needed.

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back