Zaigham

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hi,

I am unable to extract data from an older excel workbook with "xls" extension added to a folder while the other Excel workbooks with "xlsx" extension are ok.:confused:
Any suggestions?

Regards
Zaigham

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
xls is different file format, open excel, import the file and save a copy with the newer extensions

Upvote 0
xls is different file format, open excel, import the file and save a copy with the newer extensions
I have already tried it. I was expecting some other solution.
Thanks for clarification.

Upvote 0
Power Query should be able to extract from an xls file. What happens when you try it?

Upvote 0
Power Query should be able to extract from an xls file. What happens when you try it?

Data of 'xls' file does not load in table. While data of "xlsx" files "OK". When I converted the file from "xls" to "xlsx" then it loads.

Regards
Zaigham

Upvote 0
Which version of Power Query are you using and what specifically do you mean by "does not load in table"?

Upvote 0
Which version of Power Query are you using and what specifically do you mean by "does not load in table"?
Excel 2016. When I copy excel files of both format i.e., "xlsx" and "xls" in a specific folder, then only the data of "xlsx" file is updated in table in a worksheet. While the data of "xls" file is ignored without any indication. After converting the "xls" file to "xlsx" through "Save As", its data is also updated and included in above mentioned table. Hope I have explained correctly.

Regards
Zaigham

Upvote 0
What query are you using to load this table? Perhaps it is set to only use xlsx files?

Upvote 0
No it is set for both format. A message is received "DataFormatError: External table is not in expected format".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back