Zaigham

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hi,

I am unable to extract data from an older excel workbook with "xls" extension added to a folder while the other Excel workbooks with "xlsx" extension are ok.:confused:
Any suggestions?

Regards
Zaigham

How are the xls files created? What is the actual query you are using?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I have had experience with third party generated xls files not being recognised. Try opening one, saving it as xls again and see if that fixes it. If so, then the source system is not creating the file format properly. I logged a buf with MS once and they "loosened" the "rules" of how Power Query interprets an XLS, but maybe not enough.

Upvote 0
How are the xls files created? What is the actual query you are using?

Hi RoryA,
Xls files in question are created by our 02 remote field formations where they use Windows XP and Office 2003. About the 2nd part of your question, I have actually followed the Mike Grivin of Excelisfun Channel on YouTube's video "Highline Excel 2016 Class 21- Power Query Import Multiple Excel Workbooks with Multiple Sheets".

Tomorrow I shall try the technique suggested by Mr. Matt Allington and will update you accordingly.
Thanks for precious help.

Upvote 0
Hi RoryA,
Xls files in question are created by our 02 remote field formations where they use Windows XP and Office 2003. About the 2nd part of your question, I have actually followed the Mike Grivin of Excelisfun Channel on YouTube's video "Highline Excel 2016 Class 21- Power Query Import Multiple Excel Workbooks with Multiple Sheets".

Tomorrow I shall try the technique suggested by Mr. Matt Allington and will update you accordingly.
Thanks for precious help.
Hi
As stated, I have tried today to open "xls" file in Excel 2016 and "Save" as well as "Save As" again in "xls" format, found no change in problem.

However, I am cordially thankful to both of you for sparing your precious time for me.
Regards
Zaigham

Upvote 0
I just created an Excel 95 xls and successfully imported it into Excel 2013 using Power Query. So it definitely works. I am 90% sure your issue would be with the file format coming from the third party system. If the data is not too sensitive, I suggest you send feedback (frown on the Power Query menu). In my experience the team will probably get back to you. They can analyse the file and work out what is wrong. You never know, they may loosen the rules further to all it to be imported.

Of course you could open the file and save it as an xlsx, but I realise that is an extra step. You could write some VBA to do that for you I guess

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mammothzaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back