Iserror Match if one of two cells includes text

rsmeyerson

Board Regular
I am trying to return a value if one of two cells includes text by using "IF(ISERROR(MATCH" formula. I've added the OR function to try to do this but a value is not being returned even if one of the two cells includes text.

Here is my formula:

=IF(ISERROR(OR(MATCH(B172,'[SheetName.xlsm]Sheet1'!A:A, 0),MATCH(B171,'[SheetName.xlsm]Sheet1'!A:A, 0))), "", "Adj New:")

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Thank you. Is there a way to include the MATCH function with this?

:confused: Why are you trying to force a MATCH function solution when Mike has given you a simple, straightforward formula that appears to do exactly what you posted you wanted? As a matter-of-fact, if the possibilities for the cell are having text or being blank (as opposed to having a numeric value), then there is an even simpler formula available...

=IF(LEN(B171&B172),"Has text", "one or more has text", "neither")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m sorry. My question wasn’t clear. My original formula worked when matching B171 only. I’m trying to MATCH B171 OR B172. I added the OR function but the formula is not working. Can this match be added to with of the solutions provided here? Thank you for your help and time.

Upvote 0
I’m sorry. My question wasn’t clear. My original formula worked when matching B171 only. I’m trying to MATCH B171 OR B172. I added the OR function but the formula is not working. Can this match be added to with of the solutions provided here? Thank you for your help and time.

Try…

=IF(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,MATCH(B171:B172,'[SheetName.xlsm]Sheet1'!A:A, 0))),"","Adj New:")

Upvote 0
Does this formula do what you want...

=IF(COUNTIF([SheetName.xlsm]Sheet1!A:A,B171)+COUNTIF([SheetName.xlsm]Sheet1!A:A,B172),"Adj New:","")

Edit Note: You might want to consider Aladin's formula instead of mine as his formulas tend to be the most efficient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aladin's formula worked. I only had to reverse <"Adj New:",""> at the end of the formula for proper true/false result. Thank you very much to all who replied. I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back