Issues with index mode if match formula

StueyMacG

Hi,
Looking for someone wiser than me to help.
I have a list of unique part numbers in a summary sheet for which I wish to assign a description. In a seperate sheet, I have a data table, consisting of part numbers and descriptions. Not all descriptions per part number are identical, and so, in my summary sheet, I wish to assign to each part number, the description which is most common from the data table.
The formula I have used to do this is as follows:
={IFERROR(INDEX(Table1[Description],MODE(IF(Table1[Part Number]=SUMMARY!A3,MATCH(Table1[Description],Table1[Description],0)))),"")}
It seems to be working well, except for part numbers in my summary sheet, that only have one entry in the data table, where it is returning blank due to the iferror. Why is this? Is the mode of one piece of data, not that piece of data?
Any help anyone can share on this woul dbe much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Is the mode of one piece of data, not that piece of data?

Unfortunately not, no. There must be at least one value which occurs more than once within the set.

One way to get round this is to artificially double occurrences of each of your values, viz:

=INDEX(Table1[Description],MODE(IF(Table1[Part Number]=SUMMARY!A3,{1,1}*MATCH(Table1[Description],Table1[Description],0))))

Regards

Upvote 0
artificially double occurrences of each of your values, viz:

=INDEX(Table1[Description],MODE(IF(Table1[Part Number]=SUMMARY!A3,{1,1}*MATCH(Table1[Description],Table1[Description],0))))

Thanks for your help.

What exactly does that section of formula do...I've never come across this syntax.

Upvote 0
In a nutshell, the result of the expression:

MATCH(Table1[Description],Table1[Description],0)

will be a column-vector, e.g.:

{1;2;2;1;2;2;1;8}

When we form the product of this array with an array of a vector-type orthogonal to that here, i.e. with a row-vector (which is what {1,1} is - in Excel, commas and semi-colons represent separators in row- and column-vectors respectively), we have:

{1,1}*{1;2;2;1;2;2;1;8}

which results in:

{1,1;2,2;2,2;1,1;2,2;2,2;1,1;8,8}

Or, in other words, the result of the product of a 1-row-by-2-column array and an 8-row-by-1-column array is an 8-row-by-2-column array, the 16 entries in which being the results of multiplying the two elements in the first array by, in turn, each of the eight elements in the second array.

Regards

Upvote 0
Aha, thanks for the explanation. I have never seen this type of mathematics used within formula, but will bear in mind in future.

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back