Largest and second largest values in column, conditional formatting

thaling

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi - I'm on 365 on a Mac, all updated.

I've checked several posts/threads about how to highlight the highest and second highest values in a column. Nothing works quite right for me using the following conditional format formulas:
b20=max($b20:$b1001)
b20=large($b20:$b1001,2)

The maximum value in the column is 40. I get proper formatting on all the 40's listed in the column, except in addition, the last 3 populated cells are formatted the same as 40 (rows 391-393) are also highlighted with the same conditional format, but those three cells don't contain the number 40 (they are all different single digit numbers).

The second highest value is 29. Only the last occurance of the number 29 is highlighted.

Thank you for your help

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Welcome to the Forum!

If 40 is the maximum, and there are more than one 40's, then LARGE( ... , 2) will also be 40.

Try: =B20=LARGE(UNIQUE($B20:$B1001),2)

If you've been trying different formulae, you may have unwanted conditional formatting still attached, and this may account for the strange results. You may want to clear all conditional formatting from the range and start again.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum!

If 40 is the maximum, and there are more than one 40's, then LARGE( ... , 2) will also be 40.

Try: =B20=LARGE(UNIQUE($B20:$B1001),2)

If you've been trying different formulae, you may have unwanted conditional formatting still attached, and this may account for the strange results. You may want to clear all conditional formatting from the range and start again.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the fast reply and suggestion. I cleared all conditional formatting and tried the formula so the second largest number, 29, should have been highlighted, but nothing was highlighted. ????

Upvote 0
Can you post a sample of your data, include the conditional formatting.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back