Lastrow Function instead of always typing out the count

paldob

Hi All,

I always find myself typing the following for getting the Lastrow when required

Code:
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("xxx").Cells(Rows.Count, x).End(xlUp).Row

However, I have been learning to create functions recently, and I have been messing around and created the below

Code:
Function GetLastRow(ws As Worksheet, Target As Variant)

'This can be used to call (example below)
GetLastRow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, Target).End(xlUp).Row

End Function

This could be used as follows

Code:
Lastrow = GetLastRow(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1"), 1)

Do you think the above function would come in handy, if I am using the Lastrow count in multiple Sub Routines and Modules?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
If your trying to get the Lastrow of the active workbook and the active sheet you do not need to include Thisworkbook and sheet name.

Upvote 0
Here is another version of your function (note that I changed the name) that you may want to consider. The first argument is the column letter designation or the column number (your choice). The second argument is optional... if omitted, the active worksheet name is used, otherwise simply pass the name of the sheet in. The third argument is also optional... if omitted, the active workbook is used, otherwise simply pass in the workbook's name (remember to include the file extension as well). So, if you wanted to find the last row in Column M on the active sheet (in the active workbook, of course), you would use this...

=LastRow("M")

If, instead, you wanted the last row in Column M on a sheet named, say, "Other Data", (again, in the active workbook) you would use this formula...

=LastRow("M", "Other Data")

If, instead, you wanted the last row in Column M on a sheet named, say, "Other Data" in a workbook named "Kishan.xlsm, you would use this formula...

=LastRow("M", "Other Data", "Kishan.xlsm")

Here is the code...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Function LastRow(Col As Variant, Optional SheetName As String, Optional WorkbookName As String) As Long
  Dim WS As String, WB As Workbook
  If WorkbookName = "" Then
    Set WB = ActiveWorkbook
  Else
    Set WB = Workbooks(WorkbookName)
  End If
  If SheetName = "" Then
    WS = WB.ActiveSheet.Name
  Else
    WS = SheetName
  End If
  LastRow = WB.Sheets(WS).Cells(Rows.Count, Col).End(xlUp).Row
End Function[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Wow totally blown away. Just when I start to feel proud of myself for learning something so simple! I certainly have a long way to go :D

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0
Wow totally blown away.
The idea behind the code I write is to minimize the amount of "work" the user has to do to use it. In other words, do as much as you can in the code so the user does not have to do it later when he/she goes to use it.

Just when I start to feel proud of myself for learning something so simple! I certainly have a long way to go :D
Just so you know, I have been writing code (in BASIC and the compiled version of Visual Basic, the predecessors to VBA) daily since I bought my first computer in 1981, so I have a few years of experience on you. Keep writing code and reading other people's code here on this forum and it will all start to "click" in short order.

Thank you very much.
You are quite welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Rick Rothstein great function

Is code from functions available to all modules? Example if I have a module named myFunctions with all UDFs

Could I call yours from another module like:

Code:
Dim WB1 as Workbook
Dim WS1 as Worksheet

Set WB1 = thisworkbook
Set WS1 = WB1.Sheets("data")

DatasheetLastRow = LastRow("M",WS1,WB1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back